My husband doesn't respect the cleaning I do so I give up! Am I wrong in acting this way?

My husband works outside all day and has his work boots that he can take off at the door but instead walks through the living room and takes them off by his chair.
This irritates the crap out of me and makes me feel it is no longer worth my time to vaccum..I tell him I vaccum to have a clean floor and his boots make it dirty..he says because the boots are flat he isn't trailing in any dirt.
So I give up!!
I am done, if he cannot help me keep this place clean then why clean it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• I understand your frustration.....and your husband is acting like a spoiled child....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I feel the same way sometimes. I just told my husband last night that I really don't know why I clean when he and my son are just going to mess it up within an hour of me cleaning it. I feel like just letting it stay messy...but of course I don't, because I can't stand a messy house, lol. But...I feel your pain, mama! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My husband has been doing it for the last 8 years and I have come to the conclusion that I clean for myself or guest because my hubby really does not care one way or another.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It would totally irritate me if my husband was being that inconsiderate to me, I assume that you have already told him that it bothers you and that he is just dragging mud through the house. I think if I were in your position I would find some kind of an outdoor bench or chair (you can find one cheap at a rummage store or even make one out of old scrap wood) and put it next the to door-that way he has a place to sit and take his boots off-I mean who could argue with that right??
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Amen!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Oh, I feel your pain!!! OMG, my ex husband used to do that (but he did it intentionally TO make messes for me).

I stopped doing all of the normal cleaning things that I did for him- like his laundry. The point finally got across.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Your reaction to him is just that - a RE-action. I am totally with you, I would be pissd to. But the outcome is that neither of you will clean and the place will be filthy in no time - is that what you want, too?

Think about other options....... passive agressiveness, like hiding/throwing out his things you find laying around.......... we do this with the kids, lol!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• UGH! I know how you feel!! I did the same thing....then I freek out in a bout 2 days because the house is a mess lol. I can never let things sit long enough to get the point across to DH.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well if this is an everday thing I would suggest waiting to vacuum and do it after he gets home OR you could wait till he is done taking the boots off hand HIM the vacuum - and ask that HE do it (since he feels he has to walk on your cleaned floors with dirty boots). I do understand how you feel. My hubs and kids certainly drive me nuts with their laziness and unwillingness to clean or help around the house. So I clean for me, because it makes me feel good to have a tidy house. Their stuff, I have learned to bag up and dump on their beds, or toss in their room. (hubs stuff I bag up and dump in his computer chair for HIM to deal with).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Now don't get me wrong I don't let it get to the point of filth but I just don't clean as often and the older the kids the lower my standards get...or maybe I'm just burning out, not feeling appreciated
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010