hair loss after baby

I know it's normal for your hair to fall out after having a baby but is anyone else losing hair by the fistful?

Every time I look down there are at least a dozen hairs stuck to my shirt. That's EVERY time so like hundreds a day.
I took a shower last night and when I wrung the water out of my hair I got a whole handful of it. It was gross. My bathroom floor is covered in just hair (really have to go sweep it today).
It's driving me batty. I don't have that much hair to begin with because I never stopped losing it after my 4yo was born. It just kept falling out. I used to have really thick hair but now I have a bald spot forming right on the top.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely talk to your doctor. Losing it in such large amounts isn't normal. Best of luck!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• At about 12 weeks postpartum, I lost a heck of a lot of hair. It seems like a lot because you typically don't lose hair during pregnancy and right after birth due tot he hormones. Then when they shut off, a lot of hair loss. But if it bothers you, definitely talk to your doctor.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree with Loving.... that is very odd. It could be as simple as female balding and you can use something OTC for it... or it could be way more serious. Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• With both of my kids, when I hit aout three months postpartum I was losing a TON of hair. I lost handfuls of hair all day. I lost handfuls in the shower, everytime I ran my hands thru my hair and like you said, my shirt was alway covered. It lasted about two months for me after each kid and then I went back to normal. You can talk to your dr about it, but I lost that much too. I was very worried, until I brought it up at a mommy and baby nursing class I went to and found out that most of the other moms said they had the same thing happen.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 12:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I did after both of my babies. It got so bad that I was really worried....lasted for weeks! HUGE handfuls and I was able to notice my hair was thinner too.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes, it's just like cara described...just handfuls of it. Very annoying.
    I don't actually have a doctor anymore. We moved across the country when the baby was 3 weeks old so I haven't been to see a doctor since then. I remember it getting really bad with my other kids (Jack is my 5th) but this is ridiculous. I'm getting it cut today. It's only to my shoulders now but the baby keeps grabbing my hair and coming away with a handful of it and then it gets wrapped around his fingers (my 4yo ended up almost losing a toe because of one of my hairs when she was 5 months old).
    I know cutting it won't stop it from falling out but at least the ones that fall out will only be a few inches long. If it doesn't let up in the next couple of months I'll be forced to see a doctor otherwise I'm going to go bald. It's ridiculous.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I lost a lot of hair and my Dr said it was becasue your hormones are a bit crazy after giving birth ...My Dr told me to continue with the prenatals for the next 6-12 months following giving birth because they will help level out your hormones...GL momma
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm glad to know I'm not the only one losing gobs of hair. I went to get my hair cut and was talking to the stylist about it and the girl that was cutting my dd's hair had just had a baby 6 months ago and said her hair fell out just as bad to the point she decided to get it cut shorter, too. The girl doing my hair still said it felt really thick. To me it's thin compared to what it was when I was a teen/college age (ie before I started having kids). It's about 1/3 as thick so I guess my hair was really thick back then. She offered to thin it out and I'm like, "no way, I barely have any to begin with". I feel so much better with it short. It's to my chin now. That's how my 4yo got her hair, too.

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It is normal to lose hair after being pregnant due to hormones. I had a baby 10 weeks ago and am begining to lose a lot of hair too. I used to work for one of those surgical hair loss companies and the doctor I worked for wouldn't touch a female patient under the age of 35 because in most cases, the hair loss was due to hormones being out of balance, whether you had a baby or not. You could check with a dermatologist and have them check your levels and go from there. Good luck.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 11:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i am also loosing my hair alot lol) my son is 3 months old
    eliesmommy1989

Answer by eliesmommy1989 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 23, 2010