Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do you get child support and remarried? Do you share your money?

We have $1.88 in our account that comes from dh's pay
then I have a debit card that has weekly deposits of child support on it.
Every Friday my husband expects me to foot the bill for his beer/cigs/gas so he can run around
I try to explain to him that the money isn't for him and then he gets mad and claims when he gets paid I spend his money on my daughter so why can't he have some of her money, he claims it evens out.
but anyway today I have no payment and he is going to be pissy because there is no money for him.
I just don't get where he is entitled to my child support...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (22)
  • You are married....there is no yours and mine in that situation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • Whoa, he's acting like a child himself and if that's his angle on using the child support, he needs a good kick in the pants!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • Excuse me first Anon ... that money is to be used for child support; he's not entitled to any of it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • Well, I did get child support, the child support is supposed to contribute to the cost of the child's rent, utilities, clothing, transportation, child care if there is any, food, etc. The child support I received didn't even cover half of that. I put the money in our joint checking account, and I knew that my new husband was helping to pay to support my child, so I didn't see a problem with that. I was just thankful that my husband never resented helping to support my son.

    He would never have bought beer or something unnecessary if there wasn't enough money to buy food and pay the bills, so it wasn't an issue.

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • yes we are married but the child support does not belong to him he wasn't the one married to the man who blessed me with my daughter...

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • It is hard to answer without knowing what you buy with the child support money.

    Are you buying formula, diapers, school supplies, medical bills.........only basic necessities for the child? If so, then "no", he probably isn't entitled to the money. But if you consider the child support to be "yours", to be used in any way you see, trips to the movie theater, clothes your DS doesn't really need.......then he probably should be able to use some of the money when times are tough. However, I'm not sure anyone should be buying beer or cigarettes when they only have $1.88 in the bank.


    Answer by Dyndudes at 12:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • You do realize that your saying the child support doesn't belong to him....but you have to understand that buying food and paying rent and utilities for your child isn't his responsibility either. If he loves you enough to do those things......he has a right to have you contribute the child support to help him pay for those things.

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • ummm anon its NOT his child he is NOT entitled to one damned penny married or not he didnt father the child, the FATHER of the child is paying for HIS child not for some new lazy bum of a man shes is with

    Answer by alcnic27 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • yea ohwrite- but child support is NOT AT ALL TO BE USED FOR SMOKES/DRINKS non of that crap use it towards the rent or something but not for his own wants vs needs of the family

    Answer by alcnic27 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • wow.....yeah. the entitlement part is what would bother me. i would tell him if he doesn't want to pay for things towards your daughter that is his choice, but you do not have to share the money that is suppose to be used for her.

    I have come up with a new budget for my SO and I where he will only give me enough to pay his portion of the bills. I did a percentage thing. He has two kids from a previous marriage and then we have a daughter together. So, I based the percentage off of how many days they were in our home. His percentage is 58% and mine 42%. So for my estimate he needs to pay 200 toward shared bills. And that leaves the rest for him to spend on beer, cigarettes, gas, his truck payment, insurance, etc.

    My share is towards shared is less, but that is because i am financially responsible for only myself and my daughter. If you can do something like this, then maybe it will be easier to seperate

    Answer by aly38914290 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
Credit Union / Regular Banks

Next question overall (Home & Garden)