I am 23 Weeks Pregnant with my first I heard you are not allowed to dye your hair when your prego because it wont take and the fumes could hurt the bab I was wondering is it true?

Pregnant and hair dye? Is it a good combo?

MaccysMommy09

Asked by MaccysMommy09 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on your hormomes and what color your dying your hair. I personally dyed mine and I think I was 5-6 months preg but I dyed it a dark brown and my son is just fine. Just be aware the ammonia level, just not to go bleach or really really blonde. Also I talked to my doc and she said there is actually no proven cases of babies being "different" because there mom dyed there hair. But do be aware that if you go lighter or red it CAN come out different than you think b/c of your hormome levels. be careful, but have fun!
    Quintensmom

Answer by Quintensmom at 12:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I spoke to my dr. about it when I was pregnant and he said that is a concern they used to have for pregnant women but that it doesn't neccesarily hold true any longer. I had my hair dyed when I was about 4 months preggo and had no issues.. (My son was born with a few blonde highlights in his hair though...HMMMM.... LOL)
    MommytoGRP

Answer by MommytoGRP at 12:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• The lighter the color is the stronger the fumes are and the Doctors recommed that you don't do it
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 12:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I had my hair highlighted my entire pregnancy. My hairdresser was even pregnant at the time. My doctor as well as her's said that there is nothing to worry about. The dye/bleach does not absorb into your head or bloodstream like most ppl assume. Its up to you though. The only thing you cant do is a perm and thats only because your hormones will not allow you to hold the curl. Even those fumes are not bad :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i asked my doc when i was pregnant and they said it was ok
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:22 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• get one of the low fumes dyes. They make some that actually smell nice now. Avoid any that have ammonia in them as those are really stinky!
    Anonymous

• There is a two part concern on hair dye. The first is the bleach, the second is the dye. They did a study that said that the darker dyes had a higher incidence of cancer (in the woman) Whereas the lighter colors tend to require more bleach which stinks. I would skip it unless your hair is just so ugly that you can't. I have to cover my grey these days. So I'm constantly walking that line between a light color with less dye and a darker color that takes longer for the roots to show for less frequent exposure.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I just read an article about this and it said there is no proof that dying your hair can cause harm to the baby, but it's best to wait until after the first trimester before getting it done, just in case.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I've been dyeing my hair the entire pregnancy (I'm due in 6 weeks!) and baby and I are totally fine. Hair dye won't hurt you.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• its not true , i'm a hairdresser , your body dose not absorb enough of the ammonia or hydrogen peroxide to cause any problems. hair color today is MUCH different that the color if our grandmas , even if you are bleaching or lightning your hair its perfectly safe, if your are smell sensitive at most it may cause nausia. if it really concerns you and your doing it yourself use a veggie dye (henna) you can also get dyes that are water activated they arn't hennas but i cant remember what they are, you get them at sallys, or if you can afford it go to a salon and get a demi- permanet matrix color sync and redkin shades eq are my favorite to work with
    allensavannahs

Answer by allensavannahs at 5:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2008