Midnight shopping a sign of the times?

I have two teen girls and two sons who are 4 and 5. We devised this briliant plan to put the boys in bed and then go to the store where we can shop in peace.
Recently on Yahoo I saw an article about how an overwhelming amount of people on assistance are going to the store the evening before benefits are loaded onto a card, waiting until the stroke of midnight and then checking out.
According to the article, they state that this is a sign of just how desperate people are for food. They claim these people are in such an emergency for food, they stay up late, and shop just to have food for their kids as soon as possible.

I just thought I was being smart for shopping with no little ones and with no crowds. I had no idea this was a "thing" people did out of desperation.

Have you heard of this? The peeps on food stamps shopping at midnight part I mean? Very scary people are sooo bad off...

salexander

Asked by salexander at 12:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have not heard of this and I'm not sure if it's a sign of the times. I think probably there have been people on assistance who do this at night when not many other people were around to see them. I would do the shopping that late just to be able to shop in peace without the store being so crowded we couldn't turn around without bumping into someone.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have heard of it, but I assumed it was mainly because they were embarrassed to be seen by someone that might know them and would find out they are on food stamps.... it could be either way I guess.... regardless, it's pitiful that we have gotten to this state in our economy!

Robsessed98

Answer by Robsessed98 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I live in NW OH and I don't think most people here are embarassed about food stamps. I mean if you live in the burbs, you aren't on them anyway, but if you are low income you tend to live where others are in the same boat. I see lots of food stamp cards. I worked part time at a carry out for a few months. Boy those first 10 days of the month I saw tons of FS cards. I don't think I live in a bubble, but I was really surprised to hear this was actually something folks did out of desperation. The state the article happened to be talking about was VA...but noted it goes on all over the country. One woman interviewed was saying how she had nothing in the fridge so she just kept her children up late that evening and then fed them before bed...at 1 a.m. I was saddened.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It's very understandable. The assitence that people have don't last nearly as long as they should throughout the month. Whether that's because of what benefits they're given or because of the choices people make in their shopping. I haven't heard of this though as far as an "Epidemic", for lack of a better word.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ive not heard of this
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• wow, this sounds really sad :( I'm not surprised by it though.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have heard of this. There were some articles about it last year some time, as well. There was a photo of a lady who was shopping at a store that had stayed open late...I remember all of us looking at her cart... and me thinking, well, no wonder she's not making it. It seemed like she was in a convenience type store, and a lot of the stuff in her cart was expensive, like brand named charcoal and cereals...
    I still think there is a lot of education that could really benefit the people who are in these situations. It makes me sad to think there may be hungry children, and the only real reason is lack of education.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• A lot of people around here shop late at night and it has nothing to do with food stamps. It happens all the time, not just a certain time of month when benefits come out. Go to any of our 24 hr stores after 11 and you'll see families with infants and a lot of people who are obviously just getting off work - still in uniforms or still grungy .

I'm sure there are cases where people do find themselves stuck waiting for their benefits. I know there are times where paperwork gets screwed up and people are left hanging for weeks waiting on them, too. I doubt that's an "epidemic" or anything that drastic, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I've done it. Haven't kept my kids up till 1 am to feed them. I fed them and then didn't eat for about a week so they could eat. But at the stroke of midnight I was waiting and got my food and went home and ate... I was SO hungry I was in severe pain. But my babies ate and thought mommy was just "not hungry" that week. I also told them I had eaten before they got home or while I was at work, etc. :)
    Anonymous

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101006/ap_on_bi_ge/us_midnight_run
    _________________________
    I found the article you were talking about. It is sad, but the people they are interviewing are pinching pennies, and buying TIDE detergent. Um... Even with the best coupon on the earth, that's still pretty pricey for detergent... I'm just saying.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010