What do you know about the ACLU?

Based on the many ignorant comments I've read on here lately, I'd guess that there are many who know very, very little, and probably have formed their assessment (if you can call it that) based on what Rush Limbaugh or Fox News has told them to think. What do you really know (not just what you think you know)?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 12:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's a link to their homepage.

"So long as we have enough people in this country willing to fight for their rights, we'll be called a democracy."

-- ACLU Founder Roger Baldwin

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I know that they get involved when CITIZENS complain ...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sounds really good huh but that's not how it works out.
    This group works under the guise that they are for liberty and the little guy but the issues they take up are many times petty and ridiculous. They have done some good but many times they go way overboard sticking their noses in where they shouldn't. They love ruffling feathers.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They don't go around looking for cases. If they did, they'd be all over my school district for holding prayer during school events.

Sure, they've defended cases that I didn't agree with, but it doesn't take away from the big picture.  I doubt the issues are "petty and ridiculous" to the "little guy" who needs defending.  You might not agree with certain rights--maybe you don't think that gays and lesbians are entitled to the same rights as heterosexuals, for example--but that doesn't mean that those people aren't deserving of them.  Someone needs to take up those cases, and it has to be someone with some clout.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They have done some good but many times they go way overboard sticking their noses in where they shouldn't.

They go where they are asked, by OTHEr American citizens.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• jsbenkert:and probably have formed their assessment (if you can call it that) based on what Rush Limbaugh or Fox News has told them to think

Is that an ASSUMPTION?  Wow, don't you get mad when people ASSUME all of one group is responsible for the wrong doing of a few extremist? But yet here you have given yourself a free pass to ASSUME...  Quite interesting BTW, I answered your response on the other question... You were right. The ACLU entered the case a year after they were asked. Was it after they were called out by te WSJ? Who knows..... But unlike SOME, I don't delete my answers, hide, and quit....Thank you for making me push my research a little harder.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You called me on my assumptions, and you're right. I did assume. The question is. . . did I assume incorrectly?  Because, if one were to look into the cases that the ACLU takes up, they defend a whole range of people, and the purpose is to "defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantee everyone in this country."  There is nothing sinister in what they do.  The real problem is that some people just don't think that everyone is entitled to the same rights.

By the way--I was impressed that you took responsibility for your answer and looked into the question further.  Not many do that. . .

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Despite what 'some' have said, I don't think I know everything... I like to educate and research...I like to encourage others to do so as well..  I appreciate when others encourage me to do so as well. I don't mind being proven wrong... It makes me push harder to make sure I know the facts.. It's all good...

Personally, I watch Fox about an hour or two in the morning.I actually used to listen to NPR... Not anymore.. 

I would be curious to see the stats on the reaction time of ACLU on cases that involve protecting Christian rights to free speech vs other more "liberal" issues.... Till then, I think if anything when the ACLU enters a small town like King, NC it seems to have brought the community CLOSER together.. Kudos to a strengthening community.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ohh and I have never listened to Rush... Other than at a political convention I attended years ago.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I know very little about the ACLU.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010