can u press charges on someone who knowingly gave you an STD

My mothers boyfriend admitted he gave herpes when they got in a argument. He also left a voice message on her phone bragging about it. She called the police and was told that that's not proof he gave it to her. She is scared to go to the doctorbecause she think she may have HIV. He admitted he is going to give it to everyone he can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would get in touch with the CDC and see what they have to say about it.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It depends on your state, but as far as I know at this point the only STD you can press charges over is HIV.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No you can't because it's was your mothers responsibility to use protection as well.
    Tell her if she doesn't find out if she has HIV she as bad as he is by spreading it around without knowing. She thinks she may have it so she must get kicked out before sleeping with anyone else.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm pretty sure it's different in every state, but I know for a fact that knowingly spreading HIV is a crime... As for the herpes, I'm afraid she's probably on her own with that one. But tell her she needs to get tested, now and again 6 months from now. If she did contract HIV, she has a responsibility to report him, and also to tell any future partners herself... I'm sorry, that's a really messed up situation :(
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I believe the only one you can press charges for is HIV also because you can die from it. She needs to get tested and he needs to get kicked in the face. Hope things go well, sorry your mother has to go through this.
    Mama2BabyTaurus

Answer by Mama2BabyTaurus at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Because it was an action between to consenting adults, I don't think she can press charges... but if she calls the cdc and health dept she can ask what she can do...
    Also, she should file a police report that says everything, especially about the part where he plans on giving it to as many people as possible. Tell her to tell the police that even if she can't press charges, she wants to do something so that if anyone else gets infected by him, it's on paper that he was planning it and maybe those people will get some sort of retribution and maybe he'll go away or something.
    She really should get tested though... it's a safety matter to not just her but you and any other family or friends. I know it's super duper rare but if she she cut herself and any of the blood should happen to infect someone else... Yes, I took the classes too and know that's actually a long shot but it does happen!
    Good luck to you and your mom!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 12:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No..they willingly slept with them. That's what condoms are for. I would report his comment perhaps but his future bed mates are responsible to protect themselves too.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 12:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If he left her a void message bragging about it, then yes that is clear evidence. Yes she can press charges, but she has to get paper work filed that she infact has the disease.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• actually, all of these people are wrong! I happen to have someone who has gone thru this! If the man knew he had an STD, he would then e registered as having this thru the STD/ AIDS info bank, and when he found out he would have ahd to give names of all his partners! In the event tht a person with an incurable STD... ie AIDS, HIV< Herpes, or laten Chymydia has a sexual enounte, they are legally obligated to tell the other person prior to the sexual act. In St. Louis, MO about 15 years ago there was a man called "mirror man" who gave HIV and herpes to 15 women including 2 prostitutes, and was charged with 15 counts of voluntary mansalughter ( for the HIV) AND 15 COUNTS OF assault. When you knowingly give an incurable disease to someone it is an assault charge! So, she CAN take him to civil court for tis! H will then be charged and will serve more severe consequences if he does this again! Good luck,
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• anna, yu idiot, condoms do not protect against herpes...lol herpes is on the skin, they could have used condoms and still got herpes... hope you are going around using condoms to prevent STD's!they are prgnancy prevention ONLY! Wow, go to planned parenthood and get a bochure, you are truely dumb!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010