From your experience, do you find that potty training is breeze with boys or more like climbing Mt. Everest??

My son is fne with the using the pot to pee but he refuses to do BMs on it. Does anyone have any tips or trips that may be useful in helping me on this one???

Momgul

Asked by Momgul at 12:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In my experience, some kids are easy to train and some are hard, and it doesn't seem to matter if it's a boy or girl....I had one girl that was easy, one that was hard, and my boy was hard......I think it just has to be their idea....it is one area, that they can control and if they are stubborn or afraid, it's going to be tough....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have 3 sons....climbing Mt. Everest would have been easier. I wish I had some great tips, my youngest didn't want to go "potty", but didn't like sitting in poo, and would go in my laundry room behind the door!! Tell me it wouldn't have been just as easy for him (and much easier for me) to use the toilet!!!!

Good Luck....wish I had some good advice, it just seemed to take time.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have 3 boys and it was cake! BUT I did my research and accepted a few realities first. Most boys are not ready until around 3 yrs and if you try too soon, it will be like nailing Jello to the wall. Secondly, if you make it a battle, let them know it makes you nuts, or scold, punish them in anyway, you are doomed. I trained all 3 of my boys in about a weekend. Also, poop resistance is normal, be patient. and dry at night is a physiological thing that only nature will help, so to have a 5 yr old in a pull up at night is no big deal. They DO grow out of it. My eldest boy is now 24, so I think I did a pretty decent job getting them to go.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My boys are sure giving me a run for my money trying to potty train them. They turned three last month so I am not overly stressing. As twins one is more ready than the other, but they have to do everything together (in their minds).
    Noeyhead

Answer by Noeyhead at 1:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My oldest son was hard, we had to bring the potty chair everywhere with us, he was afraid to sit on the BIG potty because he thought he would fall in and get flushed away. We weened him to the big potty by putting the little potty seat on it. Once he became comfortable with it we slowly started forgetting his potty when we went somewhere and he just adjusted, he's eleven now and never got flushed away! My youngest literally trained himself at 1 year! He watched big brother( they are 2 yrs apart) he refused to wear diapers or pullups took them off every chance he got. I slapped on a pair of Batman underwear and that was it, Never messed em up with accidents because he was a big boy!
    d-4

Answer by d-4 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Everest! Both of my boys were far from interested in the potty, and we still have accidents occasionally, but that's just a part of having boys.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Should I run and hide? It was actually a lot easier than I imagined it would be? No tips? It just clicked with my son when we taught him how to stand up and pee. I will say kids being scared to poop in the potty - boys or girls - is very common. They will get it one day!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 12:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• From my experience I am having a hard time even getting my son to pee in the potty. It's not that he doesn't know what to do either. He's interested, he's seen Daddy do it multiple times, and he loves being in the bathroom. It's just getting him to relax and focus that's the hard part. He'd rather play with everything while on the potty then sit and do what he's supposed to. I have little patients for people who don't do what they're supposed to, so clearly I probably shouldn't be the one training him. However, I think it's time as he's shown interest I just can't get him to go. Then the second we leave the room and he goes back to playing he pees. UGH!

I wish I had advice for you, but I've tried everything. Running water, sitcking his hand in warm water, Even showing him how the cup of water can go potty and he should do that too. We've read books, magazines, sang songs, etc to relax him.. Nothing worked.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my son will potty sometimes he has no problem using the potty but he would just rather have a diaper change. most of the little boys in his mother's day out class are using the potty and he just has no desire to want to go. we'll ask him several times a day if he needs to go potty and about 1 outta 50 times he'll go do it... everyone tells me he'll be potty trained when he is ready but come on i really think he's just lazy in that area... good luck to you
    Bella3113

Answer by Bella3113 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Everest! And I'm a bit frustrated here lately, because my son has been potty trained for about 3 months now, but for some reason, he's been having accidents a lot when he's home with daddy. I don't get why he's doing that. DH says he keeps after him, but I really wonder about that.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010