Is this normal?

I swear my child is going to give me a heart attack. He is 17 month old and has always been on the small side. Less than 10th percentile since birth. He has 2 older brothers, 5 and 7 that are on the opposite end, pushin the 90th percentile. Anyhow, size is not my concern. My older 2 always did everything on track, completely by the book. Now my little guy was the one that was determined to do everything months in advance. He was crawling at 5 months, walking by 10 months. Now he's running, and climbing, and you name it. This kid is just not gonna be stopped. Yesterday he decided he wanted a snack so he grabbed a granola bar outta the cupboard, carried the step stool all the way to the table with snack in hand, climbed onto the chair, then onto the table, then got into his high chair. A minute ago I watched him climb up onto his changing table. He can climb onto the counters.

Quentinsmamma

Asked by Quentinsmamma at 12:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• cont.

He can pretty much get onto any surface in this house he wants.
    I'm just wondering if any of you other momma's have little ones that are just completely fearless like me little guy. I swear it's a 24/7 job just chasin him around pulling him off of things.
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Mine is the same way, as evident by the constant bruises he's sporting... He'll climb on ANYTHING, jump off ANYTHING, I swear he's going to give me a heart attack one of these days... I really don't know what to do about it, other than keep an eye on him at all times. It's exhausting!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Your kid is just a little advanced. Just watch him and make sure he doesn't try to turn on the stove when he's two. Good luck
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 12:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We've already had to take all the knobs off the stove! Just yesterday he tried to drive his little firetruck down the porch steps, just and I noticed he had taken off and his little nose his the sidewalk. Now he's got a nice little road rash.
    Quentinsmamma

Comment by Quentinsmamma (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• LOL! My son is a few months older but does that too! Watch out, my son can now literally pull himself up on to the kitchen counter to find the cookies! He just pulls up and climbs up the side like spiderman...drives me nuts! Gotta love boys :)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Damn, that boy has no hesitation. That would definately put me on edge as well, knowing that he can climb so well. Maybe he'll have a career in Mountain Climbing or Tower Maitenence. Haha
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My son has no fear. We live on a ranch, and if we don't watch him like a hawk, he gets outside, and runs with the horses or even the cattle. He has no fear, of anything.
    joeymommy1

Answer by joeymommy1 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• lol...very funny. My daughter is doing everything that her brother does. They just want to keep up with each other. And yes the younger one does it quicker. They don't want to be left out. Plus, they have thier very own pint size teacher who shows them exactly how to crawl and walk and climb...and get into trouble!
    2kidsandtired

Answer by 2kidsandtired at 1:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think fear is learned. My daughter has no fear either and it scares me to death....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• DD was & still is like that. She was waling by 7 months & there has been no stopping her since. She is completely fearless, I just tell her to look out, she looks & does what she was gonna do. If she hurts herself, I do not make a big deal out of it.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 23, 2010