if you freeze bananas

how long do they last if you freeze ripe ones?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'm not sure, but I've only ever used frozen ones for things like making breads or cakes.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 12:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I've frozen them, and they keep for months...not sure exactly how many because I usually use them up fairly quickly. I use them for baking or in smoothies.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yes I would be using them for bread or something! thanks!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I mash up my really ripe bananas and store then in freezer bags. I've kept them in there for months. If you are using them for bread you don't have to do anything to them, because it is okay if they turn brown cause you can't tell as they will be baked anyway. If you are using it for smoothies or anything else were color matter, add a small amount of fruit fresh or a bit of lemon juice to prevent oxidation.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 12:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I use mine up pretty quickly. I would guess they would last months! I put them in the blender with skim milk and call them milkshakes! :D My kids love them and it takes care of my craving for a milk shake every time!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• When youstore them, use an air-tight container, and try to pick one that is the right size so it is filled up all the way, otherwise press wax paper on top of it before putting the lid on. They should keep a couple months or so.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• usually things are only really good in the freezer for 6 months to a year. Make sure you use air tight containers or freezer bags to avoid freezer burn if you plan on leaving them there a long time.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 5:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• 3-5 months is the longest I've kept them. Freeze them in the peel (the natural covering), then put inside a ziplock bag. Then when you thaw them either in refrigerator or on the counter for 15-30 minutes. The peel comes off easily and they really just soft of pour out. I do this all the time and use them in smoothies, cakes, muffins and especially banana chocolate chip bread.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010