How long should left overs stay in the fridge?

My hubby seems to think that it should be thrown out the very next day if it's not eaten. He also says it crowds up the fridge as it acumulates.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I throw them away in about 5 days. If people haven't eaten it by then, I don't think they will eat them.

if I have a lot left over from a meal, I'll freeze it though. (has to be enough for another full meal though)
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 12:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• 3 days tops :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• It depends on the food. I only put in the fridge what i actually eat the next day. So i agree with your husband.

If i know that i wont eat the next day, then ill put it in the freezer.. but still all depends on the food.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Depends on the leftovers. Most are good for 3-5 days. I clean out the fridge every Saturday, whatever leftovers are still there from the week go to the dogs or the compost (unless it is good leftovers from Friday night...)
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:46 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• My "rule" is 3 days tops!!! (Some times 2 it just depends on what it is);
    However most of the time it gets eaten the next day, so I don't have to worry to much.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Most leftovers are good for 3-5 days, but I wouldn't ever leave them that long, personally. 2-3 days is my max, and then it will weigh on my mind until I toss it! lol Did I mention my OCD? :)

I rarely eat leftovers ever, but my oldest and my daughter will eat leftover roast, steak, etc in a heartbeat. If I eat leftovers, it's usually something like the Thanksgiving leftovers.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:30 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• good question! still eating delicous leftovers prepared differently from my daughter's wedding recption last friday, so I was a wondering. So I guess I will freeze what we can not use today. I have no9 problem w/ people eating any leftovers because I usually serve them differently each time. Except fish--my hubby's office will not allow him to reheat in the micro, so if I can't eat that w/in a day or 2, Rocko get it!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 3:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Very good question. If its from take out . Eat it soon or else.Wow, I really got sick.
    Anonymous