Who is up for a violent overthrow of the government if their side doesn't win?

Stephen Broden, a “constitutionalist pastor” from Texas who won the Republican nomination for Texas’ 30th Congressional District, made a vaguely threatening statement at a Tea Party event last year. He described the federal government as “tyrannical” and said that “we have a constitutional remedy. And the Framers say if that don’t work, revolution.”

Yesterday, a political reporter for WFAA in Dallas-Fort Worth asked Broden to explain whether he was actually calling for violence against the federal government. After a “prolonged back-and-forth,” Broden said a violent overthrow is “on the table”:

“If the government is not producing the results or has become destructive to the ends of our liberties, we have a right to get rid of that government and to get rid of it by any means necessary,” Broden said, adding the nation was founded on a violent revolt against Britain’s King George III.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Again, I'm not shocked by this... But it really disgusts me. I was sooo mad that somehow that idiot Bush managed to get elected not just once, but twice, but never once did the thought of violence enter my mind. The mindset of these radical right wingers is just plain scary... And the fact that the supposedly more moderate GOP still endorses freaks like this is equally scary.

Honestly, if people like this ever get into a position of power, I'd seriously consider moving, but I'd NEVER condone violence.

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They are just as wrong as WBC. THIS guy is running with the support of the Republican party. Code Pink is not

It is still free speech....  Pelosi has the support of the Democratic party and she has made statements that are in support of population control.  Grayson has said some Crrrazy things....   Do you think crazy is limited to ONE party?

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Freedom of Speech... Whether it is Code Pink encouraging US soliders being killed or this guy... As much as it is EXTREME, it is free speech

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Then there are extremist envir-freaks who encourage suicide...  Crazy... Nonetheless Free Speech

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• “The option is on the table. I don’t think that we should remove anything from the table as it relates to our liberties and our freedoms,” Broden said, without elaborating. “However, it is not the first option.”

I don't have time to youtube as my house does not have a self cleaning option (boo for me).  That said, from what you have posted, I have to say if he is speaking in the direction of us losing our rights by the hand of our government, I have to agree with him.  And as he said, it's not the first option.  I would guess that he is talking about representation and the fact that we have a right to elect representatives.  If our government starts taking our constitutional rights away from us, then I think he is right.  *keep in mind that I take much of what I read with a grain of salt, I won't assume that he is building a personal army*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Actually, if you research a little further, the GOP have said they are NOT happy with his comment... ""It is a disappointing, isolated incident," Neerman said. He said he plans to discuss the matter with Broden's campaign. " So, I think you are streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetching your accusations that he has the COMPLETE endorsement of the Republican party after making this statement....IF I lived in Dallas,  I would be curious to see what comes from this.....   But, alas that is what you do best, sweet..... Strrrrrrrrrretch.....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Freedom of speech and all that happy horseshit. Until he does something, they got nothin. Dissent is patriotic.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It's Freedom of Speech Issues that only piss her off when she doesn't like it. Get over it, it's an issue for Homeland Security to handle and the local authorities. Until he does something, he is a FREE MAN whether he is endorsed by anyone or not.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Wow---the fact that he is endorsed after all his "exercising his freedom of speech rights" is truly disturbing. wow.....And the guy is obviously a numnuts , if he doesn't know that the Economy was going down the tubes by 2007-2008 and that if it wasn't for Obama's efforts, we would be in much worse shape now. Ugh.
    Violent overthow of the government? How do these bozos get to run for public office?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Most Americans don't even vote...I highly doubt they'd be willing to take up arms.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010