What do you think?

A grandmother watches her grandchildren during the week days so they could attend a school near her home. The parents give the grandma $25 a week to buy groceries for the children. The grandmother buys food but cooks it not to the kids liking, so they don't eat. The kids complain to their parents and sometimes they have to bring dinner to their child when the grandma should be providing it with the money she gets. She gets a total of $400 a month from the parents combined. Should the parents be upset? I understand the grandma can't make 10 different meals to everyones liking but whats your intake on this? The grandma has a "take it or leave it" approach. What should be done here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When it comes to dinner etc with my own kids I have "This is what we have to eat, so you either eat or go hungry" So I don't know what to say, other then perhaps Grandma could try making food that is more appealing to the children in general..... I know that there are certain things that my kids just won't eat period, so I try my best to avoid making them as much as possible.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:42 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• We also have a take it or leave it approach. Perhaps instead of giving grandma money for groceries, it would be better if parents provided food that was more to their children's liking instead.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Its a tough situation. Even though she is doing them a favor, she should be using THEIR money to buy stuff that their kids will eat. Obviously shes waisting their money on herself if shes making things that they wont eat. The parents should provide the groceries instead of the cash to buy them
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Also in addition the kids should be taught that they aren't always going to get the foods they want, and should be a little bit more thankful that there is food to eat.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• they should eat what they are given. IMO

that's how I was raised and that's what I do for my kids. eat it or go hungry - their choice.

Anonymous

• We also go with the "take it or leave it" when it comes to meal. We won't make our oldest eat everything she hates we always try to make it some what "kid friendly" but she knows that she eats what is in front of her or she doesn't eat, plan and simple. So the parents could maybe suggest getting more "kid friendly" meals but hey, her house her rules. But that is how I was raised.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 12:52 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am the same way, i DONT have a lot of money to buy the things my kids will eat. THey either eat what i cook or go hungry, but at t he same time i know that my daughter for instance wont (absolutely) wont eat pork chops, so i make sure that i have enough veggies and other stuff that shes still getting a good meal, and my son wont eat anything like mashed potatoes so i dont make and if i do make them i make sure that theres enough meat and other veggies that he can leave off the potatoes maybe thats what they need to do with this grandma. dont know what else to say
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:32 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• good for grandma
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• We also have a take it or leave it approach to meals in my house ( although I do allow them a very few dislikes, like mashed potatoes and baked beans because they do eat broccoli and carrots, so I can give on the other things). If the kids won't eat the food that Grandma prepares, then I guess they'll have to be hungry. Use this as an opportunity to teach your kids manners and respect. After all, Grandma IS doing you a favor by watching your kids for you.Maybe Grandma doesn't have all day to spend in the kitchen being a short order cook and she's doing the best she can.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:11 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Sorry but when it comes to dinner kids should eat what's put in front of them. Grandma isn't runniing a restaraunt.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 30, 2008