Anecdotal question about dilation

So I've been 1cm dilated and 70% effaced for a few weeks, and when I went in for my appointment today we found out that I'm not 2cm dilated and 100% effaced. My question is how soon after you saw progress did you have your baby? Or is the change really as unimportant as being 1 cm dilated? (purely anecdotal question because I do realize no one can say and everyone is different)

MamaSarah1104

Asked by MamaSarah1104 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was 2cm for almost a month.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• In my personal opinion, its fairly unimportant. Is this your first baby? You can be dilated for weeks. How far along are you?
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 12:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was 3 cm at 36 weeks and was assured he was coming early, by Halloween.
    I was still 3cm when I went to the hopsital to be induced the day after Thanskgiving.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced for over 4 weeks prior to getting induced with both of my kids. So it might not mean anything.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yea I hear alot about people being the same dilation for weeks, I'm just wondering if since it finally changed it might mean something
    MamaSarah1104

Comment by MamaSarah1104 (original poster) at 12:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• well, it doesn't really mean much lol. . . sometimes the dialation is very gradual and sometimes it happens in a matter of hours when you're in active labor. so i'm assuming that you're almost due, right? 2cm is insignificant as far as progress.....i would pay closer attention to contractions and things like that
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Dilation and effacement means absolutely nothing. I am pregnant with my third and dilated to 2 cms at 31 weeks. I am now 35 weeks and 3-3.5 cms dilated and effaced. No labor yet for me.. Just irregular contractions.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i don't think so because the people who say they were 2 cm for weeks, they were 1 cm for a period of time before that, just they weren't "checked" at that time. kwim? they might have been 1 cm from jan 1-10 ,then go to 2 cm on jan 11, start getting checked, and then stay at 2 for a while.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It doesn't make any difference. I had no dilation and was 0% effaced at my 39 week appointment and had my baby less than a week later.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have never had my cervix checked in my pregnancies.
    (It's not something that many providers do, since it's not useful info.)

Wondering, what do you *want* it to mean?
    That your body works and is proving it?
    That it doesn't work, it isn't progressing?

Since it's not an indication of anything useful you can either decline any offers to check, remember that it isn't an indication of how/when you'll labor, or assume it has some direct correlation.
    Why not just avoid this invasive, optional, anti-helpful intervention?
    ;-)
    lol
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010