Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

does this seem too forward?

so i am waiting to hear from an employer..who has offered me a job ( i put in my app and he keeps saying he will get back to me..get back to me..etc..) yesterday when i called he says that he still has to go over things with the GM and he will call me today..(still no word from him) he did tell me to put in my two weeks notice though and that he would work me in their schedule (2 wks ago) would i be being too forward if i went up their and told him iwas ready to start work asap and that i am able to fill out whatever paperwork is needed and get a schedule?..if he puts it off on the GM would it be okay if i ask to meet him? and if he gets upset and says something like "i told you i would call"..what would you say? I'm tired of waiting around

Answer Question

Asked by shay1130 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 27 (32,809 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • wait, you put in an app, or you have had an interview with the person that has the power to hire you?

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • I would call and speak with him. Be polite, but tell him it's putting you in a rough spot since he told you to put in your 2 week notice and that time is up so you need to start working with them.

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • i put in an app...he has interviewed me...he even offered me the job

    Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • but does he have the authority to hire you? sounds like he doesn't

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • during the interview he had me fll out an app. he told me to come in and speak with him on a monday..i did, he interviewed me. During that time i filled out the app

    Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • I really hope you did not put in your two week notice without getting a written offer first and an exact start date. I would wait until Monday then call him to see where things stand -- or try calling the HR department to check the status of your application.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • I think it shows you are intersted and ready to work. At least you'll know what is going on.

    Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • Tell him this. "Look, I quit my other job, like you suggested I do. I have ___ kids who need food in their mouth and in order to keep my phone on, waiting for your call, I need a job to pay that bill. YOU offered ME the job, so why am I waiting around for YOU now?"

    Hell, go up there. I would. Especially if you've already told your current employer that you're quitting in 2 weeks, 2 weeks ago. Technically you're out of a job if that happened, because of this guy.

    You're in no way wrong for going up there. I would. Call first and just ask whoever answers the phone the name of the GM and if he's in today. Then go up there and if he says he's waiting on the GM, address him by name, ex: "Well, Mr. Willson, could I speak with Mr. Clark, I called this morning and your employee said he'd be in all day." Catch him on the spot.

    Good luck.

    Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • Honestly, I think you'd be nuts to give notice before you had a firm job offer in hand.... I wouldn't just go over there, but I would call him and tell him that you can't give notice at your current job without knowing for sure you have the new job. Or did you give notice already?

    Answer by Anouck at 12:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

  • he is a manager, but not the general manager. I think all the other managers have to run everything by the GM first

    Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.