Could i do a natural birth if my water breaks first?

We are not planning another baby for awhile but i needed some advice.

its been a family trend that our water always breaks first. i know its not common but all 3 of my moms water broke first and my grandma all 4 births water broke first, same with my great grandma's 5 births. my water broke first at 4am and i was in labor for 14 hours and pushed for 3 hours. would it be safe for me to do a natural birth? i would love to do a natural birth! i had an epidural with my DD and it didnt work to its full ability, i believe, it never relieved the pain on both sides it was either one side or the other and i felt everything in the end, and i believe it caused some problems for my DD right after she was born she had a fever and they thought she had an infection as well.

so would it be safe for me to do a natural birth since my water will break first? and any advice you have would be so great as well! Thanks ladies!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your water breaking first or not at all has not bearing on whether or not you can have natural birth. You can ALWAYS have a natural birth UNLESS there is a problem with the baby or with you as the mother.
    2kidsandtired

Answer by 2kidsandtired at 1:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• sure, why not? you just have to deliver within 24 hours to reduce the chance of infection.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• With my first two babies, my water broke first and I had a natural birth both times.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well, my water broke at home, I didn't even know that was unusual, I thought that's the way it normally goes! I did end up with a c-section, but only because my son had a giant head, and had it twisted in a way that prevented him from even entering the birth canal... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to have a natural birth... I'm currently pregnant again, and have every intention of having a natural birth, even though I WILL have it in a hospital. I'm too neurotic to do it at home, in case this one has a giant head too, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• and we plan on having the baby in a birthing center or at home! I hate hospitals!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Yes, you can have an all natural birth if your water breaks on its own.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Water breaking *usually* accompanies labor, but not always.
    You can avoid a hospital, medical stuff, etc if you & baby are fine. Why not?
    MOST water breaks later in labor, but PROM happens to about 10% of us = normal, too...
    A midwife will attend your normal maternity needs, no worries!

:-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Your BC/homebirth midwife can better help to to dispel that "24-hour" myth.

You can be ruptured and gushing for weeks before labor starts and still have a wonderful, normal, healthy waterbirth at home~

:-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• thanks ladies my hubby is not 100% on board yet but i still have a few years to work on him! :-)
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 1:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• anouck: lol yeah my dd had a big head too! my hubby wanted me to ask about my water breaking first since the doc made a BIG deal about it the first time. he just wants a healthy baby but he worries way to much!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010