At what age did your infant stop crying so much and start having more quiet alert time?

Mine 9 week old does have never long quiet alert times. She mostly cries in between feedings/naps, etc. I try everything from her diaper to her burps to singing and playing with her and nothing seems to work. When will she start to be more happy? She will smile and laugh but then it goes right to crying a few moments later. lol

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 1:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had colic for 6 months and then issues after that which made him cry.. I seriously in all honestly did not have cry free bouts until he was 2... he is turning 3 in 2 weeks - I SO much love this age..!!! good luck, I know its hard but it will get easier
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My son never cried unless he needed something.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would say between four and siz months the crying really tapered off and was replaced by much more cooing. But my DD has never really been the quiet type so she was always making sounds of some kind, it was a relief as the crying changed over to more pleasant noises though. At nine weeks some of the things that helped us soothe her tears were time in her swing, swaddling (which we did until she was about six months), a pacifier, and white noise. We spent many times with her swaddled up, holding that paci in her mouth while we swung her side to side in our arms in the bathroom with the loud fan going- for some reason that fan noise seemed to calm her down. They say the noise in the womb can be as loud as a vacuum cleaner so the white noise needs to have a bit of volume to work as a soother and remind them of the womb. Good luck, and this phase will pass eventually so hang in there.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Also, it wouldn't be horrible to buy yourself some earplugs. Of course we love our babies, but that crying can really get to a person after a while.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I have found that my babies alert quiet times came mostly after a feeding. Instead of nursing them to sleep, I would nurse them and then let them stay up and play - they had full tummies and had just been comforted by mom so they were willing to lay on a blanket for tummy time, or look out the window, etc.

Answer by missanc at 4:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Probably around 3-4 months....whenever they start holding their own head up and able to enjoy tummy time. Now I just leave her in her play pen all the time and she entertains herself mostly at 4 1/2 mos
    LiviLove613

Answer by LiviLove613 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 23, 2010