How do I get my baby off the night bottle?

My seven month old keeps taking a middle of the night bottle and not sleeping through the night. How do I break the bottle so that she will sleep through the night?

2kidsandtired

Asked by 2kidsandtired at 1:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD also still ate at night at this age- sometimes twice over night so it could be worse. :) I agree with the advice to keep giving her that night time bottle for now. I heard lots of things about kids sleeping thru and babies not needing to eat overnight after X number of months old, but for me I just knew my DD was hungry so I fed her. Eventually the feedings spread out longer and longer and by a year she was sleeping thru the night on her own. I also read somewhere that it isn't enough to give a big bottle right before bed to tide them over the night, you have to make sure they are eating enough to get full throughout the day, so when my DD started solids I tried to make sure she was eating well all day and that seemed to help her sleep longer at night, too. But for us there wasn't just an auto switch to get her to sleep thru, it took time and patience and gradually she slept thru when she was ready. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You don't. If she gets up because she is hungry, then feed her. Every child sleeps through the night at different ages.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Agreed, feed your baby when they are hungry. I breastfed my kids so there was no need to get up at night with them, roll over and insert boob lol.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 1:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• None of my kids slept through until they were a year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had the same problem with my son, I made sure that he was getting more than enough to eat during the day so he was doing out of habit and not because he was hungry so I started to push the time that I would feed him back about an hour every week
    Say he would wake up at 3am then I wouldn't feed him until 4am I would give him his pacifier and rock him and sometimes he would cry and I would just have to let him but now he sleeps until 7 am without a problem. My son just wanted me to get up with him because he knew I would!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010