i want to start using cloth diapers, any suggestions

I would like to start using cloth diaper on my 7 week old. Where can you find them, what do i need, how do i get started? Suggestions.

jiniphur

Asked by jiniphur at 12:53 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Believe it or not, there are still Diaper Laundry services out there. Just look in the yellow pages. They should be able to tell you how many diapers you will need and they will pick them up and launder them for you. From what I understand, this is VERY comparable to what you will be spending on disposable diapers...and earth friendly! :)
    Mom2KnowsBest

Answer by Mom2KnowsBest at 12:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think you need to do a lot of research before you make that decision. It's very time and labor intensive and not such a "green" alternative. Granted, you aren't filling a landfill...but you will do TONS of laundry and will need plastic pants to keep (or attempt to keep) baby and bedding dry.

I used a diaper service for first son and it was fine...but I had to remember to place the soiled diapers out for pick up, be there for delivery ,etc. I went through about 100 diapers a week (breastfed baby) and that included using them as burp cloths.

I still needed to use disposable diapers when we were outside the home (who wanted to carry around wet/soiled diapers????) and found that my son was much drier and more comfortable in the disposable ones. I switched and no more diaper rash.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 1:06 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Start by joing a group on here. There are many types of cloth diapers. You can also look at a try it package on jilliandrawers.com. It is a 3 week trial if you don't like the diapers return them and only lose $10 of your deposit. It is a cheap way to figure out if you will like them or not. CD are not labor intensive. I wash mine every other day, it is just like a load of laundry with an extra rinse at the end.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 3:13 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I recommend this website for the basics... http://clothdiapers.thefunnyemu.com/index.html

It really isn't that much trouble, or that difficult to use cloth diapers...and, if you DIY, its he helluva lot cheaper....we recylced our flannel recieving blankets into flat fold disposables, and used the cheapo gerber-prefolds as liners and doublers with covers.

Also, my experience is the opposit as one of the the PPs--the only time my daughter had diaper rashes was after wearing disposables for more than a day or so (like on vacation or camping trips)... The trick is that you get a breathable, water resistant cover for when you go out, and when they get mobile, and you go coverless while you are at home. DON'T USE PLASTIC PANTS!!!
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2008