Help ! what is so funny ? ...

How in the world...my 4 yr old DD is at a phase where whenever she's about to be punished (we have prob. 4 diff. ways, which are all consistent. If we say will will punish, we do) - she'll smirk & laugh. I cannot get her to listen & be serious. Anyone else know about this ? Sooo frustrating !

Tabitha988

Asked by Tabitha988 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I tell my son it is not funny to get in trouble!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 1:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It is her way of testing you. Just keep a straight face and keep up with the consistency. These little munchkins are much smarter than we give them credit for. Don't acknowledge her smirk/laugh etc...just continue with punishment as always.
    Good Luck
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• thanks - & I tell her "well (for example) it won't be funny if we can't do..." and she'll smirk and sarcastically say "noooo.it won't" smirk smirk...grr. thanks ! any other help would b great 2 - thanks !
    Tabitha988

Comment by Tabitha988 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• lol, i agree with tony. she is trying to break you. ignore her and she will stop (and try to find another way i'm sure lmao).
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ditto to Tony.

It's called "social referencing". Keep your composure and make sure the punishment fits the crime. Relying on her fear of being punished later (like no dessert at dinner) for something she's doing now, isn't effective cause her brain can't think that far ahead yet.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• As much as you it could be her testing you, it could be a nervous habit too. I have my moments where something shouldn't be funny and I really don't find them funny but I will laugh out of nervousness.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yep. there are times that we all laugh for no reason really. But MOST of the time when she does (like this anyway) is @ that time. "social referencing "....are you a psychologist ? Seriously !! I am interested in psychology & all things relating to mind about how we think & why, etc... I've never heard of that, but u make a good point & are prob right ! :D - I forget & sometimes do it for later like you said not to - that makes sense ; its so hard to think on their level
    Tabitha988

Comment by Tabitha988 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yea..my DS has been doing that and he's 2 1/2....grrrrrrrrrrrr....little sh@!ts
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010