Are you embarassed by what you do for a living?

I get asked the question of what I do for a living every now and then. I am hesitate to tell people at times, because most think its horrible and I shouldn't be doing it. I am a professional poker player. I play for a few hours while my daughter is in school, and this enables me to pick her up from school and spend the afternoon with her and be there when she needs me. I am able to make a living doing this legally.
Anyone else ever not want to tell people what your do for a job for fear of being judged?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• I'm proud to be a SAHM.
    Anonymous

• I'm a SAHM so I don't really have anything odd for a job :)

go you! if you can make money at something fun like poker! :) I think that's a cool job!

I used to work the door at a night club. People had a hard time figuring out what I got paid for LOL I got tips :o) I just told people I got tipped for taking their money and keeping up with their coat in winter. Surprisingly, I made over $600 in three 5 hour shifts a week
    Anonymous

• People will judge no matter what, so who cares? I am a SAHM of three kids all close in age. I also homeschool, read a lot of books, and crochet. I'm only 27. I don't really have much in common with other people my own age. I get looks and comments all the time.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am also a proud SAHM... and I couldnt imagine doing anything else. i had a woman yell at me for not having a "real" job. she obviously didnt have a family. or a home to keep up with...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I love my JOBS....they make me who I am and I get to help people!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i am a stripper, and it can't really come up at the in laws dinner table, but i wouldn't say i'm embarrassed. I don't get into the scene (no drinking or drugs at all).

I think it is neat that you are a prof. card player. i've done tournaments in other states and countries.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am a SAHM with a home business and LOVE it..my husband is a SAHD too and a real estate agent, We both work our business and he loves to play poker...he wants to be a prof. poker player as well. One of his goals is to enter and win in the World Poker Tour. LOL. and I know he will. Regardless of what people say, you are going to do what you want to do. If that makes you happy and puts food on the table, so be it.... I hope you win lots of money. LOL. If you want to invest some of that money and earn residual income and still do what you do, pleaes let me know...visit my profile page. :)
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Do you play online? I like to play poker too. But I play when we have family gathers.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I am a SAHM with a home business... and no I am not ashamed... I've done it all at this point and I'm only 25. I have a rather shady life that included sex and drugs and lots of money... I've turned my life around and I am finally able to say that I make more money than most of my friends and family and I do it legally! I actually had a tee shirt made up to help advertise my business and wear it proudly!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• If you are not ashamed of what you do, why would you care what others say. People work different jobs for a living and sometimes you don't have a choice, you do what
    you can.
    I am a work at home mom, I have 2 businesses and I am not ashamed, Sometimes I do cash crate too, to make extra cash.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 2:56 PM on Oct. 29, 2008