Do you think NPR was right to fire Juan Williams? Why/why not?

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 1:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Lega2131

Most Americans in this country who "wear turbans" are not Muslims.. They are Sikhs.. Like my husband and son. If you see a person walking around with a turban on, they are most likely Sikhs. Muslims do not just wear turbans, wearing a turban is not part of muslim "garb" pr required clothing. (I think that is the word that was used).. However it is part of the Sikh traditional religious wear, that is worn at all times and is required wear of Sikhs who have taken Amrit.

This is part of the problem (not you specifically. speaking in general terms at this point...) There is a lack of knowledge in this country about different religions and cultures amongst many people.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Nope.

They drank the sensationalist kool-aid. I believe his statements were taken out of context and they made an embarassing rush to judgement.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Why wasn't Nina Totenburg (also of NPR) fired for wishing AIDS on Jesse Helms? things that make you go hrmmmmmmmm
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• What I think is bogus is that the government has given NPR over 4 million dollars and it's a biased organization to begin with. National Public Radio my arse.

(he was speaking what most American's feel... I won't get on a plane with a bunch of men in turbans.. just saying)
    lega2131

Answer by lega2131 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• JW must be big news on TV today. Good thing I don't watch very often.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No,it was not the right thing to do. However, this country has gone so far over the line with "political correctness" that no one is allowed to voice an opinion in any sort of negative context, or they are instantly labeled (no one,that is except liberal movie stars, who can say whatever they like,and get standing ovation). I'm not a fan of Juan's, but I do respect he was willing to speak his mind, and voice his concerns. Political correctness will be the downfall of this country.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 3:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Last week George Soros gave NPR $1.8 million to counter Fox News.

Money talks, Juan Williams walks. Appearing on Fox is a no no.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My personal view.

IF he broke his contract (which NPR reps state that he did), and this is not the first time that something like that has happened. (which NPR reps states that it's not)..

Then yes. He should be fired. Not because he stated what he did.. But for breaking part of his contract.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No, it wasn't the "right" thing to do....they probably felt they were doing the "smart" thing, but our country is so divided on this issue that it is hard to say....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I also forgot to add this.. Even in the ME and S Asia (which includes Pakistan/Indian/Bangladesh..etc..etc.).. Siks are still the most obvious "turban' wearers. And the type sof turbans that are worn by others (meaning non Sikhs) varies from region to region. The Sikh turban is the one that many (most people I have met) for some reason associate with "Muslim".. I think it's because it is the type of turban style that has been seen the most in American popular media for decades upon decades, is Sikh, but it has been associated with Muslims for some reason or another.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010