Why do Customer Service people feel the need to be rude?

My bank sent me a bunch of letters about my account being overdrawn. I have not been home and just got them today. I called promptly. I explained that I had been out of town due to my dad being in the hospital and had not checked the account since I wasn't using it. The lady was really rude to me. When I asked about the charges she said, "well if you had bothered to keep track of your account or had someone watching your mail you would have known." So now I have to go pay the bank for nothing! What did her being rude accomplish?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Idk, I called my bank once for a fee that shouldn't have even been charged. I mean, how do you charge an NSF fee when there is money in the account to cover whatever is outstanding. I was polite and asked what the fee was for. She said, "Well, it's obviously for non-sufficient funds." Er, no kidding? I didn't get that sonce I'm so stupid and everything. So then I explained to her that I can't see any place that my account could have gone negative and she got all snotty. I then talked to a manager who discovered that the fee was charged incorrectly and it was some glitch in their new system. Sheesh, if they hate their jobs that much, find another one.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• ohhh, I would have told her "well if I lived the charmed life you evidently do and nothing bad ever happened to me I would have kept track. Unfortunately I am a human and things happen. Now if you would get out of the business of judging me and back to your actual JOB".
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 2:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm always baffled at people that have customer service jobs, it's rare that I encounter one that is friendly and helpful. When I do though I make sure I tell them that I appreciate them.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• not much! You don't happen to bank w wells fargo do ya?? I closed all my accounts there they're rude and suck! but they do have a point you should have been keeping track in a register but still there was no reason to be rude if you feel like you were treated unfairly talk to the branch manager of the place you bank at.
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• TD Bank is the exact same way!!!! Extremely rude and they don't care of your situation.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not saying it's right, but when I worked CS, it was the customer's rudeness that usually set a situation up to go badly. Perhaps a previous customer was nasty to her and you unfortunately (and wrongly) caught the fallout?

That said, I think the people in banks just plain are brusque, if not rude. Because we "need" them more than they think they "need" us, so we just have to accept whatever terms they want to put on using our money? It's making me consider switching to a local credit union.....
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Just someone having a bad day who doesn't know how to handle herself. Or just someone with a stick up her ass... either way you didn't deserve it. I mean really, why would someone watch an account they aren't using because if I am not using my money in my account I am assuming my money didn't go anywhere.

Does you bank happen to be Bank of America?
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Gemini - do it! I have a credit union for my personal accounts, and for mine and hubby's joint we use a bank. The bank is extremely rude, and the credit union is so personal and welcoming (we're in the process of switching accounts over to credit union).
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They have power trips an no power in thier real lifes so they take it out on everyone else.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• At Mommy Appelseed they have the best customer service! It's like shopping at Nordstroms!
    MommyAppelseed

Answer by MommyAppelseed at 2:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010