a 4 year old with a psp?

So I'm watching my brother's girlfriends kids while they are out of town (funeral). So anyway, when i went over there yesterday to pick up the kids and their stuff she hands me a PSP and says its for her daughter to play with. Her daughter is only 4 and it doesn't have a "learning" game in it, just a normal racing game. Is it just me or does it seem like she is way too young to be playing with a psp?
I didn't want to be mean about it so I just told her I didn't want to take the chance of her daughter sharing with mine and then it breaking.

an-apple-a-day

Asked by an-apple-a-day at 2:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I definitely think 4 is a bit young for a PSP. My stepdaughter got one at 7 and lost it for over 6 months. Lost it completely! Now, she's 9 and has a cell phone. And guess what? She lost that too - about a month ago....
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• As long as she has a variety of other things to do and play with, a racing game isn't the end of the world. I dont see what the issue is. My child will play with my iphone sometimes....BUT, he is alsoo very active. He plays outside, he does arts and crafts, singing, etc....so 30 minutes or so of a video game isn't a big deal to me.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't let my DS have on and he is 4
    but then again, he doesn't even know how to turn the tv on!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Truthfully, it is none of your business what they let their DD play with. If you do not want her to play with it around you and your kids while you are watching , take it away tell she leaves.

Answer by louise2 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm not big at giving kids electronics...guess I'm old school =)
    luv2mum

Answer by luv2mum at 2:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm sure she can't really follow the games. She probably likes to make it make noise. Maybe it's an old one they don't use anymore. They didn't buy it for the 4 year old, did they? That would be weird. I gave my 4 year old my cell phone to play tetris on. He didn't really do it right, but he still liked it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• To add to my comment above...that being said, I would NOT buy him one of his own. I would let him use a siblings or mine if I were to have one, but not his own, and only when supervised, so as not to lose it.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I personally wouldn't let my son play with one at that young age but that is my preference. When I was young, I have a GameBoy and I was only allowed to play it when we were on road trips or at home. I had to have all my chores done and all my homework done. I wasn't allowed to take it into places to eat and such. I really don't like seeing other kids playing their games while at the dinner table. I just don't think it's respectful. Just my personal opinion though :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 2:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't see a problem with it. We are considering them for our 4 year olds for Christmas. We have invested hundreds of dollars into their leapster 2s including 16 + games and they have gone through 2 in the last year because they are cheaply made with a 30 warranty.

The PSPs have learning games available, but it doesn't need to be educational 100 percent of the time.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• 4 is a bit young... but who are we to judge what others allow their kids to play with. If it is a problem for you just don't let her play with it when she is with you. Maybe buy her an educational game for Christmas.
    ConcernedMom141

Answer by ConcernedMom141 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010