Teenage Sex

Why are parents allowing their children to have friends in their bedrooms? Especially when they are teenagers. Bedrooms should be for sleeping and homework and private time. Children and their friends (teenagers,too) Need to be Watched at all times. The family computer should be where you can see it when you pass. We had the telephone in the kitchen so we could hear what was being said. I had mirror tiles in my kitchen so I could watch what was going on behind my back.

depressedmom65

Asked by depressedmom65 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• it all depends on the kids
    I was always allowed to have male friends in my bedroom because my parents knew that there was nothing going on...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I feel you. Some parents think they need to let their kids/teens have way more freedom then they need.

Answer by louise2 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well, I'm actually a little torn about that one, to be honest. Because let's face it, teenagers WILL have sex. "Just say no" doesn't work. So it's a matter of where they'll have it, more than whether they'll have it. Personally, I'd rather they were able to communicate with me openly and freely about those issues, and yes, possibly end up having sleepovers at my house than have them rut somewhere in the back of a car... Thinking back, I don't think I would have felt comfortable having sex while my parents were in the house anyway, but they DID allow me to have my boyfriend over at times they weren't around, and I appreciate their trust.

At some point, you have to allow your kids (talking teenagers here) some freedom.... But I'm sure I'm in the minority with my feelings on the issue.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• wow, quite a surveillance!!!! I agree about the bedroom, but if teens want to have sex, they will do it in the most unlikely places!! I think need to be supervised yes, you give them guidelines to live by and hope they remember, but watch like a Hawks really unnecessary.

Answer by older at 2:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I know when I was a teenager, I wasn't allowed to have boys in my room unless the door was wide open. Of course the den area was right next to my bedroom so that had a lot to do with it. I agree though, there has to be some rules in the house. A lot of times we would just hang out on the couch in the den though :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 2:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Those are your opinions. Maybe they are best for your children but you don't get to say thats how it "should" be. I'm sure you don't do thinks in which other parents feel they "should" be done. You post was very judgmental and a bit bitchy. Kinda sounds like you just want to start drama...
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You watch infants and toddlers like hawks, because they tend to get into trouble because they do not know any better, but a teen also needs their space to grow , to ground themselves in the world around them.

Answer by older at 2:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Some things I agree with, but the mirror thing is a little much. Teens need some freedom or they're going to explode when they finally turn into adults.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Shanna, that's right! Or even when they are teenagers, they are just going to rebel. Well, some of them at least!!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 2:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree.....kids don't need to be interested in sex and the opposite sex and they should not get the idea it is "okay",,,,
    TALK with them about responsibility and morals and maturity and self-repsect and LIMITS. It is up to parents to be IN CHARGE and to set limits and know where their kids are all the time. And don't anyone try to excuse themselves by saying that kids will have sex anyway....even at school. HAhahaha. They won't if YOU raise them right.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010