Tot under whight what do you feed your tot????

Ok I take my toddler to her 15mons apponintment to get shot an so forth an the doc tells me he is really counsernd about her being so under whight I mean befoure the vist I wasnt worryed couse skinny kids run in my family hubby said he was really skinny when he was little too she does eat pretty often an pretty good she is picky though the doc tells me to give her pediasure or boost or carnason instent brackfast an to add oil to all her food so i go buy all this stuff an she likes none of it she just spits it out an for a while she after I gave her that pediasure an carnson istent bf she wouldnt even drink plan whole milk thinking i put something in it. An putting oil in all her food seems wrong like im seting her up for a heart attack or something But I decided to try it she would taste her food spit it out an look at me like what did you do to my food? :( i dont know what to do. Moms with heathy kids what do youfeedum

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok first of my DD will be 3 in Dec and is 25 pounds. lol. I know 9 month olds as big as her! THe ped said as long as she was developing and gaining on HER curve she was fine. Just little. I do try to increase her calories though. I do as a litle touch of olive oil to her veggies. I do use whole milk for her. I do ad Ovaltine a couple of times a week. I make sure she gets a little extra cheese here and there. I give her extra helpings when she ask and I do feed her on demand (with in reason of course!) But what she gets is up to me. Usually some whole gran crackers or a handful of cereal. Only if it is more than a few min until an actual meal time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Did you only try chocolate? My DD only likes the vanilla. And it only takes a little touch of olive oil to add some fat so not even enough to even really taste it will do the trick.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Olive oil, avocados, other good fats.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Avocados, either cut up or smeared on whole wheat toast. Yo baby whole yogurt. Sneaking avocados into other food such as pudding, iceing, mashes potatoes, pizza ect is what I did for my FTT preemie daughter.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 2:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There are lots of flavors of pediasure you can try... my daughter won't touch the strawberry, but loves the banana cream. Definitely try putting ovaltine in the milk, it's choc-full of vitamins. The thing that works best for us is a powder called Duocal. Our doctor wrote us a prescription, so we get it from the WIC office free. You just mix it into any moist food, and they can't even tell it's there. It dissolves completely, and there is no taste at all. (I didn't believe that when the doctor told me, so I tried it... it's true!) My little one gained 2 pounds in a month. Hope this helps!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You know, I was watching the show Doctors one day and the Pedi on there said a fruit smoothie he had blended up would help, he also said don't replace your childs meal with it but just for a snack.
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i do not believe in fattening up kids. some kids are small, and thats all. i would be concerned if milestones were delayed, or if you saw regression. your dd is 15 months, and probably more mobile now.
    i believe the ingredients in pediasure are crap...it is what, sugar water with milk proteins?
    i have a 2 1/2 yo daughter that is 23 pounds. she eats what we eat, and she snacks all day long too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was 32 pounds in Kindergarten. She just may be small. Feed her healthy and avocados are great. Don't worry so much about it. And I wouldn't do Pediasure, Carnation or Ovaltine. She is too young to get hooked on sugar laden junk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• How much underweight are we talking here? How much does she weigh. I think I would get a second opinion. Just keep feeding her healthy snacks. I give my daughter yobaby yogurt 100 calories each, cheese sticks 80 calories each and things like that healthy and good for you. I would never add oil to my daughters food that is just nasty.....
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Avocados are full of healthy fats. Whole milk yogurts like YoBaby are good too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010