For women with Diabetes only pls...

I just want to hear what were your first signs of something wasn't right.
Thank you.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Health

• Women who have gestastional diabetes are 66% more likely to have subsequent GD with future pregnancies. With most women GD is resolved after the birth of the child. Women who have had GD are much more likely to develope Type 2 (insulin resistant) diabetes later in life. Lifestyle can make all the difference. If you are overweight get motivated to lose. Watch simple/empty carbohydrates. Eat 5 small meals instead of three larger. It isn't a hard lifestyle to live. You just have to accept it and move forward. My diabetes doesn't stop me from doing whatever I want. At first you may crave sweet sugary things...but eventually over time, you just don't want them anymore. When you do taste something sweet after you get to that point it is often so sickeningly sweet you can't stand it. At least that is truw for me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I was constantly tired and fatigued, even after sleeping well. My skin was overly dry. I could never seem to drink enough water, I mean glass after glass. Then of course I had to urinate like crazy. I was actually in nursing school when a professor looked at me one day and asked me to follow her to the lab. She checked my blood sugar and it was over 400. (normal is generally considered between 70-120) . She called my husband and I don't remember who took me to the ER..but that's how I found out. I was at higher risk for developing because of family history. I was also a gestastional doabetic with my last child..
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Increased thirst and urination...I could not get enough to drink, was constantly drinking something.

Unexplained weight loss...I lost 40 pounds over an 8 month period without trying or doing anything different.

Tiredness and fatigue...all the time!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I meant to add that I also have a family history and that my levels were in the 700's when I found out. If you suspect you have it...please get checked out soon!!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 2:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Hello, I was 15 when i found out i had type 1, I drank alot of water but always was thirsty and i would have to pee alot!! I lost about 30 in a few months. I was in and out of urgent care...went to see my doctor and she knew before taking the test. when they took the test it was to high for the meter to read!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• WOW
    I had Gestational with both my pregnancies and felt fine after I had them but lately I have been peeing alot more but I also started the pill again so not sure if its that....I am not thirsty like you have mentioned? I know I need to go find out but don't want to trip out too much because I am peeing more? it could be water weight I am peeing from the pill? hmmmmm.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 3:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010