+12 months nursing mothers??

ok so my son is 12 months and i was on a nursing birth control the mini pill and i had to call in my pill for this month and the nurse decided to put me on Tri-nessa. she said since i was only nursing at night that i was ok. should this be ok? iam worried the warnings on the pill says not to take if nursing. iam just worried my last dr. told me that it would dry my milk up. what do you ladies thing? Thank you!!!

Reneemommy

Asked by Reneemommy at 2:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It may, it may not. It's up to you if it's worth the risk.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If there is a possibility of your milk drying up and you want to continue nursing, then you should continue with the mini pill until you are ready to stop nursing.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I really have no idea. My guess is that none of the bc pills will dry you up completely (I could be wrong) but just slow down the supply greatly. If you want, you could always give it a try or ask for something different. (Check out their website too, maybe there will be some info there)

micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 2:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Why is a nurse changing your prescription? No, I wouldn't take it, I'd call back and get the mini pill...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There is a chance it will dry up your milk. I could not even take the mini pill bc it dried up my milk. If it says not to take while nursing-I would NOT take it at all and call and talk to your doctor directly.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't know sweety
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Have you thought about using an IUD? Either one is okay while breastfeeding, and they're more effective than any pill. I'd be wary of any pill that says that it can't be used while breastfeeding.
    Keep up the nursing, mama!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i had the IUD 2 times and it got stuck so my dr. said i cant have it no more because it was too much of a risk and i only went with the pill because i was nursing. thank you ladies i have been thinking about weening him soon i just wanted to make sure it would be Safe. thank you all
    Reneemommy

Comment by Reneemommy (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• BC is tricky when breast feeding but if she told you (key words) "it should be fine since you only feed at night" tells me it is not the best solution while breast feeding. Follow your instinct and do what you feel is best. (it will be the right choice) Remember that there are almost an unlimited number of birth control pills and other methods so you have tons of options! GL
    Keely625

Answer by Keely625 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• If it has estrogen in it, it WILL dry up your milk.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 2:01 PM on Oct. 24, 2010