What do you think of this????

Long story short I took my toddler to a preschool program just to play & socialize and there was a sand box there where the kids stand around & dig etc. but it has these shiny rocks in the box that were a choking hazard. My son kept putting them in his mouth & I asked the lady if she could remove them as they are a choking hazard?? they are small? she did but didn't make an effort to take all of them out. I went back 2 days later and the rocks were back in there again? I asked her if they were the same rocks? she said yes & I said well I am going to take them out!!!! is it just me or should a preschool program for children 0-5 not have small chokeable things there? yes we are supposed to be watching our kids but when you have two to watch and toddlers put everything in their mouth it could happen very quickly that a child will choke!!!! is it just me or what? I am pissed a little that those rocks were put back!!

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 2:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would be really upset about that myself, and if they overlook that safety hazard I would be afraid that they weren't good at anticipating safety issues in general. I would be looking for another preschool if that happened to us.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm with you, especially if it is for ages 0-5. For someone to have a choking hazard clearly pointed out to them and then ignore it seems ridiculous. If it was only for older children I might see why they aren't as worried, but for the little ones those stones are clearly a risk. On top of the fact that they are hidden in sand so your little one could have it in their mouth before you even realized what it was even if you were keeping a really close eye.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:40 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• that doesn;t soung good. i would feel pissed too! talk to the director. they could be sued if someone got hurt!
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 2:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'd be finding a new preschool asap!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would be upset too. I would contact the program director with your concern; it's a valid one.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You're right, parents should watch their kids, but as you also stated toddlers have a way of doing things even if you turn away for a second. It's smart to not have those things in the sandbox. I would talk to the program/preschool director about having them removed permenantly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The rocks should not be there in the first place.
    jessesmama22

Answer by jessesmama22 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i go to one too with 0-5 ages , same deal with tons of chokeable items, beads , rocks ect . I have to stay with my toddler every minute , as its not a daycare its my job to stop her choking. basically you cant go there and zone out or chat with mums , you gotta chase your baby round.
    maymummy

Answer by maymummy at 2:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That would tick me off too. More so since they put them back. I would remove my child.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Why would their be little rocks in the sand box? That doesnt make sense.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 3:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010