What tips are there to wean a child off of a pacifier?

I heard that actually cutting the nipple off little by little will help get your child off of the pacifier. Are there any other tips?

Jacobismommy

Asked by Jacobismommy at 3:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just do it cold turkey, take it away. But I like what Supernanny does, gives them some cool stickers or something instead.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I guess I would start by asking when do you give your child the pacifier? If when your child is fussy, try redirecting your child's attention so he/she can learn new things or how to comfort themselves. If at bedtime, try something different in your routine; reading, music, singing rocking etc.... Depending on the age of your child, you can give him/her praises: what a great job, you are such a big girl/boy. Eventually it will be a thing of the past. Whether it be going cold turkey or using some of the above ideas, you must do what works for you as a family and that eases your child well. It is a security and comfort use for your child that shouldn't be a "habit"! Good Luck!
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 3:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• BTW...DO NOT CUT OFF THE NIPPLE LITTLE BY LITTLE....sorry missed that part. You do not want to get bacteria really growing but most importantly THIS WILL BECOME A HUGE CHOKING PROBLEM! NOT SAFE! That and the fact your child is still in fact putting the darn thing in his/her mouth which is what you are trying to break! :)
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 3:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would not be cutting the nipple off, that's a major choking hazard! They will chew the remainder to pieces and choke on pieces they've chewed off.
    I started letting DD only have binky at nap time and bedtime. Now, we're just down to bedtime, although she does not keep the paci in the entire night, just falls asleep with it and then it falls out.
    In about a month or so I will be just throwing it out and no more paci! Might make for a couple of rough nights but that's OK, she'll get over it.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well Jacobi is only 11 months. He pretty much has the thing in his mouth during the majority of the day. We are also trying to wean him off the bottle as well. Just trying to cut the bottle down to the mornings. He knows " Good job" a little, but not to the full extent. I may have to just suffer it out through the day, and just give it to him at night. Thank you all so much!
    Jacobismommy

Comment by Jacobismommy (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• To me, I would let the child wean himself. Honestly, I don't see the big deal about children and pacifiers or sucking their thumb. My mom is hardcore against my son sucking his thumb, and I have to repeatedly tell her to stop. But as for the pacifier thing, why does a child need to NOT have one? Because society says so? So I say fuck society, I am doing what is best for my child, not what LOOKS good to society.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would cut back to letting hm have it ONLY at nap/bed times. Then after a few weeks, take it away at nap time. Then a few weeks after that tak eit away all together.

With my DS, we took it away cold turkey at 12 months...With DD we did what I mentioned above at 14 months.
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• to get from bottles to sippy cups- put super water downed juice in the bottle and full strength into the sippy cup. always have the sippy available on the table (wherever he can reach). have sippy available at all times and offer first before the bottle if formula is given, etc.

for paci- if you want to wean, cut the part length wise (so there isn't any suction). take it away during the day when baby is playing, offer only at nap and bedtime. Or just take it away. you will have a terrible few days, but baby will be okay. also. throw away ALL pacifires. do not have an "emergency" one hiding in a cupborad. you will take it out within a few days to soothe your son. good luck!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:45 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• How old is your child? If he/she is prior to 3 months and you only give it to him/her at nap time or when they are fussy they really do not crave it but all and all I would try to get them off it by 4 months. GL
    Keely625

Answer by Keely625 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• Take away during wakeful times, then take away at naps and then at night. We did that with my dd and she only fussed the first night without it.
    Karmawolf

Answer by Karmawolf at 9:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2010