In your opinion~Is this an NPR double standard?

Juan Williams is fired. But in 1995 Nina Totenberg wished AIDS on Jesse Helms and smiles as she suggests the idea of AIDS to his grandchildren?

Is this wishing AIDS on any person the type of "ethical behavior" NPR supports? Given the way Williams was 'fired'~Would you call this type of response from an NPR analyst, consistent with the same editorial standards and practices that were used to measure Juan Williams?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Nina Totenberg's personal opinion of wising AIDS on a human being

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• BIG TIME Double Standard. Typical liberal hysteria standard, but double standard,nonetheless.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 3:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You can't use an example more recent that 15 years ago? Geez. If you want to debate, at least make it relevant.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The only way I can state if it's a double standard or not depends on what her contract stated in 95 and what his contract states today.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Well this is more recent, you can check it. This is when the NPR linked Congressmen and christians to anthrax threats and the claim was totally false

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,57411,00.html
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 3:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

I would love to see a lawsuit against NPR to find out. It IS illegal in DC(where NPR is based) to fire someone for voicing their personal opinion 'outside of work".  He wasn't working for NPR when he spoke on O'Reilly... I would love to see him sue out of principle.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• What she said was wrong.... But I don't believe you can equate the two. Jesse Helms was a disgusting human being. What she said was aimed at him, for all the reprehensive things he said and did. Now, two wrongs don't make a right, don't get me wrong, and she SHOULD have been severely reprimanded. However, it was an attack on one specific person. Juan Williams made derogatory remarks about Muslims IN GENERAL. To me, there's a difference. Now let the bashing begin, I won't respond again :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sure looks that way.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to be Nina Totenberg when Karma rolls into town. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Jesse Helms was a disgusting human being.

This is about ETHICAL  behavior..She wished AIDS on his grandchildren, and smiled while doing it. What do his GRANDCHILDREN, personally have to do with his words?  She had a personal agenda with that statement, did she not?  Doesn't that undermine her credibility.

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• if you're going to lie you might not want to put up the clip that shows you are lying.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2010