I tested positive for step B should I be worried

I'm so freaking out im due nov 10, I did not test positive with my other pregancys Im so scared something will go wrong. How many of you have tested positive and had a health baby. Thank you for your advice.

Twowildboys

Asked by Twowildboys at 3:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i never tested positive so idk what to tell u. its actually supposed to be kinda common. u just need to get to L&D early in labor so they can start antibiotics.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:13 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I test positive for group b with my first and didn't have enough time to do both sets of antibotics due to fast labor. with my second they automatically treated me and it went so fast they barely finished the first dose! both babies are perfect. i wouldn't worry so much. it's so so common for us to have this.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 3:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't worry too much. They will treat you with antibiotics and check the baby. My goodness, it's only been 4.5 years, but I barely remember; I swear I tested positive with my daughter, and now I'm not sure. LOL I don't think they finished my antibiotics either.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No, don't worry -- they will give you a course of antibiotics and you'll be fine. I was positive for group B strep with my second child, took my antibiotics, all was well.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i tested positive with my first, and when you get to L&D, just tell them and they give you the antibiotics. They say it's good to get 2 full doses of it - well since my labor was 21 hours, I got 4 full doses!! LOL It's nothing to be worried about, it's very common. it's just a bacteria.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• They just give you antibiotics during labor and delivery via your IV - its no biggie as long as you get the antibiotics. Its when you don't get the antibiotics that there is a worry.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No, do not worry.
    (Many women don't even bother with this test.)
    If you want to avoid tethering / repeating that you want no tethering you can use garlic or hibiclens or any of the remedies.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had it w/both pregnancies and I got my antibiotics and my kids (now 3 and 5) are great. So don't worry, it is common and easily taken care of :)
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Its nothing to worry about sweets. They will give you 2 iv bags of antibiotics so baby can get them to prevent baby from getting strap b. Its so common. Way more common than you would think. I have 2 friends that had it. 1 friend got both bags of meds and the other got a half a bag. Both had perfectly healthy kiddos :) Dont stress yourself. Do a little research on it. That always set my mind at ease when i was told something was up. (i had gestational diabetes and polyhydramnios when i was pregnant with my son and i freaked until i researched it) :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 7:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i tested postive for strep b. i was told just to tell them at the hospital and they would give the antibiotics. she is perfectly healthy and happy very active toddler.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010