Why is it wrong now?

Before anyone goes any further, this isn't me "gay bashing" or has anything to do with my personal opinion on homosexuality.

My question is this: Why did it take gay kids getting bullied to bring bullying in to the lime light? Why are we (society) all about giving kids a haven and protecting them if they are gay and being bullied, but seem to have left all the other kids out in the cold? Bullying has been a long time issue, over the last couple decades there are many incidents of kids taking extreme measures as a result of being bullied...killing themselves or others. So why is it NOW that we pay attention? What does sexuality have to do with it? Bullying is wrong no matter WHY its being done.

hobbitswife04

Asked by hobbitswife04 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• You have a very good point. Bullying has been happening for forever and I don't even want to know the number of suicides or suicide attempts that have happened because of bullying........why now?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 6:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I AGREE!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Bullying has been in the spotlight  for awhile , it has gotten more intense because of the rate of suicides

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree. The issue has been brought up before, especially after Columbine happened. It seems like something will happen and everyone will be concerned but no one will do anything and we'll all go back to where we were before. Since gay rights has been a major current event for the past couple years, I think this one may stick around longer. I think that's great because maybe something will finally be done for ALL bullying. I do believe that the solution starts at home as well.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 3:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I believe it to be a combination of things. The way society itself portrays things, how a child is raised in their home(personal family beliefs/how parents discuss things at home or treat their own children), peer pressure plays a big role, and also just how much tolerance a school or other people allow a child's behavior to get away with. The point you make about it taking a "gay" situation is irrevelant. (sp?) You also have to think about it is the media as well that chooses what to blow up and air. This takes place everyday on every playground, school bus and front yards... hell, even in college. What are WE AS A SOCIETY doing about it? Well, I'll tell you one thing.... IT STARTS IN THE HOME!
    NoDramaMamma

Answer by NoDramaMamma at 3:41 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree. All sorts of kids get bullied, and none is more important or special than the other. Bullying on everyone needs attention and focus, not just kids of a certain sexuality/race/ethnicity.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Why did it take gay kids getting bullied to bring bullying in to the lime light?

What rock have you been living under?
    Phoebe Prince
    Megan Meier
    Sladjana Vidovic
    Alexis Pilkington

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• bullying has been in the news for a while - not just gay kids. however, it's not sensational enough when everyone can agree... they had to throw in some shit to stir the pot. the news is about creating drama and swaying people it's not an objective, non-profit organization...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Great post! It's the gay kids that are more focused on sadly. There has been other bullying in the news as well. I guess people are finally opening their eyes and realizing that it's actually happening that young kids and teens can be very mean and tormenting to people their own age. Parents still look past it. They keep thinking and saying "Oh, my kids will never do that." "I thought them right" when in fact it's the parents that are in denial their kids are the ones that are bullying.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think bullying has been a growing issue for many years, it got out of control with all the kids cyber bullying, etc. This is not new a new issue, they have addressing this issues for years. Maybe you're just noticing it now because of the gay issue? I'm curious where you've been? I've been watching Dateline's and 20/20's for more than 5 years about this issue. I think you have a problem with it now because they are focusing on gays.
    Anonymous