I need help from breast feeding moms.

I have a white white bump on my nipple and when i tuch it hurts. When my son is eating it hurts too. What can i do to make it go away and stop hurting. I have contacted milkworks and they refered me to a web site and I cant find how to treat it.

MommyTessier

Asked by MommyTessier at 1:09 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call your dr. and set up an appointment... sorry i am not of more help!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:15 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think it's a clogged milk duct. When you nurse, see to it that baby's bottom jaw is opposite the bump, and actually gently stroke your breast toward the bump. You might have to place baby in rather strange nursing position to accomplish this. Also, when you bathe, the warm water and the stroking toward the nipple might bring relief. ~I have breastfed my eight children successfully.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 1:21 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Could it be yeast infection in the pore?
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 1:40 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Milk bleb or milk pimple or milk blister is what they call them. Here is a link to a site that explains it and how to help get rid of it. There is also a link to a picture so you can confirm the likeness. Congratulations on breastfeeding you are doing a great job!!! http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 2:36 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• lay in a very warm bath an soak.It could be your son isnt latching on correctly.When they latch on correctly your whole nipple disapears.An it dont hurt.If it hurts he isnt latching on right.That white bump you are talking about an blood blisters even will appear.Good luck
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I would treat it like a clogged duct:

Empty the breast, often. Nurse from it if it's not too painful and finish it off with a pump.

Make sure your clothes and/or bra aren't too tight, and avoid wearing an underwire for awhile.

Change breastfeeding positions (from cradle to football to crossover) so all milk ducts get stimulated equally.

Apply heat. Warm compresses on the affected breast before each feeding can help get milk flowing, and stand under a warm shower stream, letting the water hit the spot.

Massage it away. Applying gentle pressure to the plugged duct both before and during a feeding can help loosen the clog.

Use your baby as a masseuse by positioning your baby so that his chin massages the lump as you nurse.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:26 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Stupid 1,000 character limit! Anyway, I had a clogged duct a couple of weeks ago that I was able to take care of on my own. I did all of the things suggested above and finally just went to bed with a heating pad on it. When I woke up, it was completely gone!

I think what you're describing may be called a clogged milk pore...I can't remember the exact name, I'll have to check when I get home! You can also try to remove the white part with a sterile pin.

It's probably nothing, but don't be shy about calling your doctor or hospital (or your insurance company's nurses line, if they have one) with any questions, they want you to be a successful breastfeeder! Good luck and make sure you let us know how it turns out!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008