This is where I come to vent.. and I totally need to vent! So we rent from friends. I Know BIG MISTAKE!

Well, we have lived here in the upstairs appartment for 2 years and 6 months! Their have been several different people living downstairs over this period of time. Well, The downstairs in s a basement. Everyone knows the basement in colder then the upstairs right? Well, Our "friends/landlord" came to us and said the light bill is still to high (its been too high for 2 years) My husband has told her OVER AND OVER that something is wrong with the air/ heat and SHE knows this. Anyway. The girl lived here before was a friend of theres and she WAS ALWAYS cold in the winter time even when we had the heat on. Our landlord NEVER cared. NOw there are new people down stairs and I told them to call her that she does not listen to us ever so they did. And sense they told me they were cold I keep the air off all day. The thermostate read 80 today! So before my son took a nap I turned the air on for a few mintues and the girl downstaris..

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• was freezing! I told her that my son was super hot and felt like he had a fever because it was 80 upstairs and he woke up with the sweats the other day so I cut it on for a few minutes so he could sleep! I turned it off and it has been off sense. Well the our "friend/landlord? called and told me that the girl downstaris called her told her and she told us that the light bill is still stoo high that we need to pay an extra $100 on rent OR she is moving the thermistate downstaris. WHATH THE HECK! I pay 1275 a month for rent and I have been living with my windows open all night for the last few weeks.. (sense she told me about the light bill and the girl downstaris said she was too cold) how would you handle this? I am not giving her any extra money thats for sure. And I can't afford to move out . I am 36 weeks pregnant and am due on NOV 12th! I have a two year old and an 8 year old. I can afford to move out. YET ..
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• can't afford to.. sorry for all the typos I was typying fast!
    smarie1011

Comment by smarie1011 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would tell her that if thats how its going to be there will be a law suit coming her way.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:48 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• She should have 2 different thermostats for each apartment. You're paying too much rent for & you're apartment doesn't seem worth it. Where do you live? I live in Atlanta & i rent my own house on huge property for much less than that. Maybe it's time to start lookinf for a new place to live. At least it's cooling down a bit.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Why can't the downstairs tenant cover up her air/heat vent? A basement will stay cool in the summer & warm in the winter unless it gets really cold out and then she can uncover it for heat. I assume that you have air/heat coming from the same vent?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Does she realize that it is your right as a tenant to use your air as you please? Do you have a rental aggreement? I sure hope so. If so then you need to look it over and see if there is anything in there about the light bill. If there isn't then bring that to her attention if she tries something stupid. Tell her she should have stated that she would pay a set number of dollars towards the power bill monthly and if it went higher then that then you would be responsible, but because she didn't state that then she is screwed if it states she will pay the power. GL!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• if she has money to relocate a thermostat why not just pay to have the damn thing fixed??? i agree with above posters regarding the separate thermostats and need for agreement. look up landlord tenant laws in your state. i wonder if the unit is even legal without separate thermostats? she's just expecting you to deal with it, it sounds like, because you're friends. i think it's bullshit that she will listen to the stranger complain and care nothing for your bill nor the comfort of you and your family.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Are you under a contract? She cant raise it if you signed a lease.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• OMG get out as soon as u financially can been there done that! It was always so hot upstairs in the summer and downstairs would come and whine it was too cold..it's a big big issue and it causes tons of problems between you and other tenants I'd start looking for something else
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• it really sounds like the apartments are not up to code. For starters there should be separate thermostats for each apartment, secondly if the house is that poorly insulated where the basement is freezing and the upstairs is boiling then that NEEDS to be fixed. Also if that girl called and told me she was freezing and it was 80 in my apartment and my little one was uncomfortable I would tell her to buck up and put on a sweater. And when your landlord bring up the fact that the utilities are too high then I would suggest that she take some steps in upgrading the duct work and insulation, etc. in order to fix that. If you rent a house with utilities included the landlord has no business harassing you about the cost-which is exactly what she is doing.
    I would start looking in the classifieds for a new place because it really sounds like you are getting hosed!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010