Chubby kids

My neighbor's son is 4 and a half and outweighs my 9 year old by 3 lbs. I always cringe when she mentions anything having to do with his weight,like buying him clothes. I've noticed the parents of these overweight kids seem to be in denial about their weight. My SIL certainly is. Her 4 yr old weighs 75 lbs. Doesn't it scare the pants off of them when they're buying size 8 or 10 for a 4 yr old? When I was in school we had THE fat kid in school. Now its half the population! What are we teaching kids about their health if we blow off the fact that they are OBESE before they even enter kindergarten?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:50 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It makes me sad when I drop my son off at school and there are kids his age (elementary age) that literally WADDLE. I look at these kids, some of whom stop walking halfway to class because they're *winded* already, and I wonder how much of the joy of childhood they miss because they're not healthy enough to enjoy it?

Now, my boys have had their chubby moments, but that's temporary before a growth spurt. I'm not talking about a little toddler belly or anything, because kids grow out of that quickly.... But how does a parent actually LOOK at their 8, 9, 10 year old who weighs nearly 200 pounds and think that's okay?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It's a touchy subject. No parent wants to admit that they are helping their child be fat. My good friend back home has an obese daughter. She just eats crap. They eat out a lot & rarely make the effort to eat healthy. The thing that sucks, is that her mom does not know how to eat healthy. She was raised to eat that way & she raises her daughter to eat that way. Some don't have the time or patience to help their kids eat healthier. They just don't care to make the effort. It's so much easier to do things the way you're used to doing it.

We need to teach the parents about health. That is where it starts.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It's not always about what they eat. My best friend feeds her kids Mcdonalds almost everyday for lunch, and orders pizza atleast 3 times a week. Her daughter is 4 and just a week older than my 4 year old, my 4 year old is around 40" tall and somewhere between 30-35 pounds, she's always been in the 25 for weight and 75 for height. Her daughter is just a bit bigger by a few inches and pounds. You wouldn't know that her mom feeds her crap, because she's "healthy" looking. Some parents are feeding their "big" kids healthy food, but genetics is what contributes to their weight. Some parents feed their "little" kids very unhealthy food, but you wouldn't know it because of their metabolisms. So it's not fair to say that because a child is big, they must be getting fed junkfood all the time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Honestly, I don't see all these "fat" kids.  Our of all the kids I see running around our neighborhood only 3 of them are overweight.  The rest are skinny like my kids.  My 9yo son weighs a little over 70lbs and is all muscle.  He has almost no fat on him.  My 10yo dd is 47lbs.  My 8yo dd is 54lbs and my 4yo dd is 32lbs.  I'm like 90lbs overweight but I refuse to let my kids get into the same habits I've been in my whole life.  They eat pretty healthy (not that I deny them the fun, junk food--we're having mini bagel pizzas and tater tots for dinner tonight) and they get lots of exercise running around our neighborhood with their friends.

I think the fact that people are terrified to let their kids out of the house contributes to the "fat" problem.  If kids only get to play outside an hour a day because their parents are busy they aren't getting enough exercise.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My daughter is almost 3 and weighs 48lbs, shes a little over weight and i can admitt it. But shes healthy, and drinks a lot of milk. We heve been limiting how much candy and milk she gets now, she cant wear 2t anymore, but is in 3t, since shes almost 3 im not thinking thats too bad. But i understand that if we dont handle it now, it can get out of hand.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:52 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ok, if someone is over feeding their child that's one thing. But how about genetics?

I have a friend, who's whole family runs big. He is short, probably about 5'6 maybe and very round. His girlfriend is a little taller than him, but not much smaller. They have a 1 year old son, who weighs 30 pounds now at 14 months and my 22 month old weighs 26 pounds. Looking at their son, you wouldn't think he was that big until you pick him up. He wears a size 7 shoe (same as my 22 month old) and can fit into 3T clothing. It's not the kid's fault though, his parents are big and his dad's side of the family is big. They feed him as much as the average baby is fed. He was actually 6 pounds at birth, and grew rapidly after that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• People are so used to the "fast" lifestyle too. Our society also contributes to this epidemic. We created the land of the fast & easy & our bodies & kids bodies are paying the price.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think genetics have a lot to do with it. I've seen kids who live on nothing but junk food and are naturally thin, and I also see kids who eat healthy foods and are naturally big. It's not just the fact that you can't spit without hitting a fast food place that has a $1 menu. It's also the fact that some of these kids are not getting enough exercise. Instead of buying the kids a play station or whatever new gadget is out there, get the child a bike or a pair of skates . Take the kids for a walk.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 4:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Both my kids eat the same things. One is over weight and one is normal or under weight. What's up with that? They eat and do the same things all the time.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:24 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My son wears a size 31 in adult he is 10yrs old. Do I cringe when I go clothe shopping?...NOpe! He is 10 and weighs 124lbs am I a bad mother?... I dont think so. As I mentioned a couple of times already he is 10 he eats healthy I rarely have chips or cookies at home never candy unless im planning a birthday party or its holloween I have fruit, yogurt, cheese crackers and such. He plays football and practices about 3 days a week for 2hrs and plays Sundays. If you look at him he is very solid and has a wide back what can I say DH and his brothers are built the same way.
    bz-mom

Answer by bz-mom at 5:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010