My son is 3 and shows NO interests what so ever in potty training, what can i do to change that?

question pretty much covers it lol

Dixiedarlin8107

Asked by Dixiedarlin8107 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• don't push him. My son wasn't interested at 3 years old, either. However, he had a sleepover with a 5 year old friend at 3 1/2 years old, and after that, wearing pullups was no longer cool and he started using the potty. If you turn it into a battle, he will just resist.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and is the same way.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• yea i havent pushed him one bit , was always told not to to do bc it will push him further away. he was so close to gettin the hang of it until i had my daughter , shes 8 weeks old now. n now he acts like he loves his diapers!!!
    Dixiedarlin8107

Comment by Dixiedarlin8107 (original poster) at 3:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Give him a little more time.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Don't worry about it, all kids grow and develop at their own pace. By the time they go off to college they will feed themselves, get dressed and most certainly be potty trained. I have three kids, one was out of diapers at 18 months, one by age 2 and the other was almost three but, ta daa they did it their way.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I am in the same boat with my 3 yr old boy. We've tried differnt potty chairs, sticker chart, candy(bribing lol)....pretty much everything I can think of....he won't even sit on the potty nowadays. We've resigned to just wait it out.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We let our son decide. He was 3 years and 2months and potty trained himself in 2 weeks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my 6 yr old was not interested at all in potty training...then right before he turned 4 I had enough...so I took him to the diaper section and asked him to look at the babies on the packages and explained that babies wear diapers and he was almost 4 yrs old and way to old for them so we walked over to boys underwear and I explained there will be no more diapers and he had to wear underwear and had him pick out some of his own.
    Then it clicked, he was excited about this! he happily gave up the diaper and never had an accident and doesn't even wet the bed.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:22 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• I had a potty in the house before my son was 2. He occasionally sat on or played with it. As he got older I had him try to use it more and more. From 2-3 we had das where we would wear underwear and use the potty. If he got too tired or frustrated with it, he had an accident and he went back into a diaper. He was rewarded everytime he did use the potty. The big problem always was(and is for most kids) pooping in the potty. My son had a lot of accidents at first but we didn't ever use pullups, I don't see how a child can learn to use a potty when you're still pretty much putting him in a diaper. I never pressured him overly about it but if we had time at home and it was a good day we tried the potty again. Just around his 3rd birthday he was getting more into it and could wear underwear all day, finally he pooped 3 days in a row in the toilet. I knew he was ready, & there was never any more diapers.
    TattooedMama87

Answer by TattooedMama87 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 23, 2010