Is modifying a baby's body for no medical reason child abuse, in your opinion?

Circumcision, ear piercing, etc.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 3:54 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• “Of course not, people peirce baby's ears all the time and they barely feel it. Circumcision is kinda necessary unless you want that child to have a deformed looking penis. They even circumsized in the bible.”

Talk about ignorance on BOTH subjects. Just wow. A deformed looking penis would actually be one that is circumcised, sorry. And lets not even go over all the reasons again why babies ears shouldn’t be pierced. (oh they barely feel it)… WHO CARES if they barely feel it. Are you going to jam a random needle into your babies arm that you found in your sewing kit just because it “barely hurts” too?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:00 PM on Oct. 23, 2010

• what?!? child abuse for circumsion and ear piercing, not really in my opinion. I think there are worse things being done to children that should be called child abuse. I think the child abuse card is used to much IMO
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think that if programs like CPS and DCFS wasted there time punishing parents for peirced ears and circumsions a lot worse things would get left alone. Like the little girl getting raped, and the little boy getting beat.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:57 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Not child abuse. Good grief.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I definitely do not consider circumcision or piercing of the ears child abuse.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Lol No. I'm against both of those things, but I consider it personal choice NOT abuse. Some people feel that those things will actually help their child in some way and abuse is when you are purposely harming a child..... so definitely no.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I definitely do not believe circumcision and ear piercings are child abuse. How can you even put those in the same category as hitting a child repeatedly until they have bruises, throwing them, choking them and all of the other things someone can do to a child as abuse?

poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There are medical reasons to circ, not enough to make it mandatory, but there are, in fact, medical reasons. Yes, there are also cons... As for ear piercing, that has NO medical reason.
    Anonymous

• No, I dont think those type of things are child abuse. I agree with bubbie, Child Abuse is hollered all too often. Now, I have heard of a case of a mother who decided that her two year old daughter needed a tattoo on her lower back like she and grandma had. I don't remember whether she went through with it, I hope she didnt. Now that type off body modification is child abuse in my opinion.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 3:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm against altering a child's body in any way shape or form unless its medically necessary - backed by the AAP, not people stuck in the 50s. But to make the leap from being against it to calling it an extreme such as child abuse is ridiculous.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010