terrible two or just spoiled?

So my DD will be two next month. When I tell her no on something, she'll throw a fit and will throw everything within reach. Today, she was playing in the bathroom and I told her "come on out, you can't play in there". She had a plastic fork an throws it at me.

help!

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 3:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Twos if you are dealing with it. Spoiled if you are letting her get away with it.. You are the boss. You need to put your foot down now while she is young. If you let her get away with that stuff now, it will only get worse.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Which ever it is, you have to put a stop to it. I know some parents write off their kids bad behavior as things like "it's the terrible twos" , "she just tired" or "that's a teenager for you" I hear this ALOT and yes kids go through "stages" but I don't think they just "grow out of it", the parent needs to discipline in these situations. Your dd should probably be put in a time out when she acts that way. Has she just started doing this?
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Sounds like my daughter who turned 2 in August. lol. It just sounds like the "terrible two" phase they go through. Then you have the "trying three's." If you are letting her get away with it, then yes, that's spoiled. My daughter always gets a pop on the hand and put in time-out. Her hitting and throwing has diminished a lot since she start putting it together with, "if I do this, then I get time-out."
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• NO TOs....they DON'T work! Especially at age 2. Offer her choices!! Make them choices that you want but then she feells like she is in control....tell her she has 2 choices...She can throw a fit and not get to do something fun or she can listen and get that special item or ctivity. Also give her other choices; which cup, plate, shoes etc. All things that don't really matter....She wants control and feels she isn't being heard..these choices will help her feel in control. My DS NEVER had a tantrum until he waas 28 months and I can count on 1 hand how many he has had. This said he is VERY verbal which helps. When he throws a fit I tell him when he is ready to act like a big boy come find me and we can work it out. I walk away and he generally stops immediate;y. you can talk about what she could do instead of throwing the fork that will get your attention. You can also say "I know you really want to play in the cont
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• cont. bathroom but it is not safe and you do not want her getting hurt. Then suggest something else that would be fun for her. It's i hard and will take some time to sink in but it will work if you are consistent.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think it's part of terrible twos. My two year old DD is the same way but, I do what most of the other's here have posted and try to give her other options and give her a time out and things.
    BrynlysMommy

Answer by BrynlysMommy at 6:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010