What is a good small pet to have with small children?

Not a small dog or cat.....
Also, I have a fully carpeted home.

Can you explain why you think it's a good pet?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Pets

• Hmmm, how small are the kids? Because the problem you CAN run into with small pets is that they're fragile... and little kids like to squeeze, heh. If that's not an issue, I actually think rats are GREAT pets. They're clean, they're super smart, and they're very entertaining. Guinea pigs are fun too. If you want something that won't smell (because you DO have to clean those cages religiously), maybe a turtle? They're sturdy, too. Just not very active...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:03 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• We've had one of everything. A small snake is fun for them and very clean. They loved their pet mouse "GeorgeShrinks", but he was a lot of cleaning for me.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Probably a fish or a guinea pig. Hamster maybe, but kids might squeeze them too hard. Guinea pigs are bigger and not as fragile, though they would still need to be told to be careful when holding it because they bite when agitated.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• A fish could always be a good pet. You don't have to worry about the kids squeezing them to death or hurting them. They can just look and admire them. You can also get them involved in the cleaning of thei aquarium and feeding them, which will help teach your child responsibility. My daughter is 2 and she has two dogs, a cat and a turtle. She wants a fish, but we don't have any room for an aquarium. But my parents have fish and she LOVES them and will sit and watch them for hours.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i want to add though that we have a cat and i also have small children, my oldest is only 4. they do great with him, the younger ones don't even bother with him. it's my 4 year old that is constantly loving him. and she had to be told SEVERAL times that he's a cat not a toy, but she's got the idea now. lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:06 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks for the info ladies! I was thinking maybe a Guinea pig or a rabbit, but I'm just worried about them chewing on things.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would also say a rat. They really are alot of fun. (If you go with a hampster, do your research first... they can be very mean.)
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 4:09 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Guinea pigs make a lot of noise all night long, beware!!!! Rabbits, on the other hand, can be trained to use the litter like a cat. I've heard chewing is a problem though.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 4:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I like rodents... rats and guinea pigs are nice. Right now we have piggies- they are very sweet with the kids, even with the three year old. Ours are litter trained- they don't pee on the floor, the cage is at floor level and they go back in the cage to do their business. All rodents will chew- it's the way their teeth are made. Their teeth are open rooted and grow continuously so they have to chew to wear the teeth down or they will run into serious dental problems. However, whether they will chew on furniture is an individual thing... I have a guinea pig who has never chewed anything not into her cage, and had one who chewed up all my doorframes! Really the key is supervision to prevent chewing- you need to be there to dissuade them from chewing on forbidden objects. I obviously give my piggies too much leeway and that's where the doorframes went! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Rats
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 10:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010