What has been the hardest thing for you to learn as a parent?

Mine has been that my 5 year old daughter is just not as in to being organized as I am :/

luv2mum

Asked by luv2mum at 4:10 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• 1. patience
    2. picking my battles
    3. knowing when to keep my mouth shut (fighting the urge to advise and judge) and just listen when they are sharing personal things with you
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 4:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Patience. I do not seem to possess this quality. I am learning though :)
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Over my 18 years of parenthood..

The hardest thing to learn has been, when to let go and when to step in.

That line changes through-out the years.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That I don't have to be the perfect mom. My children will love me because I am me, and I try my hardest.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That they need to make their own mistakes. Knowing that they are going to hurt themselves and I have to let them do it is the absolute hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 4:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• PATIENCE.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 4:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• patience...yeah...and how to notice when your child is manipulating you because they are CONSTANTLY coming up with new manipulation techniques. You have to stay on your toes!

I'm also having a hard time dealing with my DD's emotions. I was so much more care-free when i was little. I let things roll off my back all the time, i didn't have a care in the world....but DD on the other hand, i can just look at her funny & she'll get offended. I am still learning how to understand & deal with her super sensitive emotions. It's almost a daily battle. I am so different when it comes to feelings...i just don't let the small stuff get to me & she lets the small stuff eat her alive.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• i'm still learning! but the hardest thing that i learn as a single teen mom is that is impossible to be perfect but we can learn how to do what is good for our children.
    Sofiah

Answer by Sofiah at 4:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• for some I bet it was letting the Dad be right or do things his way once in awhile, that everything doesn't have to be done Mom's way.
    Anonymous

• ANON: I admit to having that problem sometimes yes..
    also worry.. I can NOT believe the amount of all around worry came with becoming a mother.. its over whelming
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 22, 2010