airplane with a 13 month old

I am going to DC for work and my job is paying. My hubby and 13 month old are coming along. The bad thing is we have a layover that is longer and then an hour shuttle ride all late at night! I am worried he is going to do so badly! Any advice or suggestions?

maggiebella25

Asked by maggiebella25 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could get lucky and he'll sleep through it! I took my daughter Audrey to England (her dad's mom lives there) when she was freshly two and that eight-hour flight was killer! She kept wanting to get up and walk around so I spent a lot of the night wandering up and down the aisles. The layovers weren't bad (we had a two hour delay in Phoenix and one hour in Atlanta on the way back) because she could walk around but sitting still for so long drove her (and me) crazy!

My advice is to bring LOTS of snacks and toys, that's the trick. Since your flight won't be that long you should have it easier than I did. I made a lot of funny faces and played a lot of peek-a-boo!!!
    frombong2mom

Answer by frombong2mom at 6:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• be prepared that he might....i have flown a million times with my DS and every time has been different. i flew with him at 13 months and was expecting him to be horrible...he slept the WHOLE way...just bring his fav snacks, lots of milk or binkie for comfort and some fav books and toys....GL!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Just make sure you have a pacifier or bottle handy for him to suck on during take off and landing. I haven't had any layovers when I've flown with my kids, but I would probably take a bunch of different toys and books so he doesn't get bored. Take the stroller so you can go work walks around the terminal. More than likely he'll sleep for most of it.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Minimize his sleep the night before so he sleeps on the plane and/or during the layover.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 4:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010