When is a good age to take your kid to the movies

My dd will be 2 in Feb. She does good at watching movies at home.I was wondering when is a good age to take them to the movies.

bucky77

Asked by bucky77 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Eh...You're the only person who can tell for sure. Some kids are great at home, but get overwhelmed by the noise and huge screen and have meltdowns, and some kids who couldn't sit still to save their lives are so entranced that they don't move for the whole thing. We took my son, who is definitely in the 'can't sit still' camp to Toy Story 3 (if you haven't seen it yet, I HIGHLY recommend it) and he did great. He wore his 3D glasses the whole time, he talked to himself a little ("oh there's woody!' or 'buzz is running!') but otherwise was perfect.

My best advice is to do at a time when you know it will be dead...early matinee on Wednesday or something, so if she does act up it won't be too much of a big deal.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 4:28 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Mine has been going from 4 months all the way through to 14years. He never had an issue.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think it depends entirely on the kid and the mood of said kid. My three year old daughter and step daughter usually go to a babysitting while my seven year old stepdaughter and five year old stepson do just fine. Does your child sit and watch a whole movie or whole tv show? If so, you're probably fine. If your daughter will sit still, then go for it!!! Have fun!!! If you're going to a kids movie, it'll be full of other moms and kids anyway, so you don't have to worry about disturbing the other moviegoers as much.
    frombong2mom

Answer by frombong2mom at 4:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Depends on the kid. I didn't even attempt it with my older one until his 3rd birthday, and then only because we had free tickets so I wouldn't have felt bad if we'd had to leave in the middle of it. I had to bribe him to get him to stay in his seat initially, but after that he did fine, much better than I expected.

My younger one I can see going much sooner because she has a much better attention span already at 18 months (not going anytime soon, just possibly earlier than 3 years) and is very laid back in public.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010