A school board in Wisconsin is forcing explicit sex education.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Education/Default.aspx?id=1213060
The Cedarburg School Board is requiring parents to opt their children into the most sensitive areas of sexual education instruction, including intercourse, contraception, abortion, homosexuality and masturbation. Thoughts?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 4:33 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• This is why My kids are in Private school. No way would that be ok In my book. But for some who dont want to teach their children anything it may be good.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'm sorry, but why wouldn't you want your teenage son or daughter to learn about contraception? Wouldn't you rather they had the answers before they did the experimenting? I know our school taught "Abstinence only" and it was stupid. Not only did students make fun of the classes, but they didn't teach us anything useful. Yes, not having sex will keep you from getting pregnant, and having sex might give you a disease. But that didnt' stop half of the 9th graders in our class from trying it anyway. Maybe if a few more of them had been wearing condoms, there woudn't have been as many teenaged parents. And learning that masturbation is ok, as long as it's done in the privacy of one's bedroom is a good way to help teenagers not feel as awkward about that stage in their life. If parents would teach their kids these things, the schools wouldn't have to, but since so many parents are remiss, I think the schools should.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't think it's a big deal at all. Some of these kids REALLY need to be learning this stuff....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:42 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would be pulling my child out and homeschooling. I have no problem with any of it but the homosexuality,and abortion.. If I want my child to learn about that, I will tell them. They can learn the rest,but homosexuality, nor abortion has no place being taught to school age children.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 4:44 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That seems like sex ed, not EXTREME sex ed.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 4:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I don't get it, I was taught about everything, yes, abstinance was mentioned as part of a birth control, but we learned about EVERYTHING... why is it explicit? I'm lost...
    SusieQue717

Answer by SusieQue717 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I had to seek a different source than the one offered in this thread to get a better comprehension. Here's a link to the letter that goes out to the parents defining what will be taught and the boundaries that are set in what they teach:

http://media.journalinteractive.com/documents/Cearburgparentletter.pdf

Yes, I know it is not a clicky and after all this time and all these comments I have made, I still don't know how to make a clicky link.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:47 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Its not the contraception I have a problem with, although I do wish more parents were proactive about teaching sex education instead of leaving it to the schools. My son, would have been taught that by his father and me. The school is also taking it a few steps further though, and could be (and is) a violation of many religious beliefs. They are teaching about masturbation and homosexuality which some parents feel goes against their religion.
    I understand the "need" for sex education in school and since some wont teach about it, like I said, I'm fine with teaching contraception *as well as* abstinence. The rest needs no part in the class room. Not if they insist on requiring it.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• There are some things parents should teach their kids.Are we going to let the schools take over every aspect of parenting? Are we having children and then willing to totally give them to the government run school system? WTH???? If you can't talk to your own kids about sex,then you shouldn't have had kids at all.I'm sorry,but that's what I see happening more and more.People having kids who don't even have sense enough to know how to raise a puppy! Maybe they need to force some parents to go to a school to learn parenting.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 4:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't mind, I plan to teach my kids about all of those things. I was taught about those things and I turned out okay and I want my kids equipped to deal with the world as it is, not as I would like it to be.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010