On a scale of 1-10, How would you rate the way your parents raised you? (more inside)

Do you think they were a 10, meaning great parents, they did everything right? Or lower maybe, they could have been better parents towards you? & What did they do right or wrong, in your eyes? What could they have done to make your life better now? Is there something you wish they would have done but didnt, or vice versa?

xxMasonsMommaxx

Asked by xxMasonsMommaxx at 4:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• I won't give it a number.....my parents came from backgrounds of poverty, alcoholism and abuse...they raised me the best way they knew how, and certainly loved me, but were definitely products of their own backgrounds...my husband and I did the best we could to overcome our childhood traumas and raised and are raising our children the best way we know how and we love our children intensely, but we have made many mistakes, and my oldest would probably tell you that I'm a bad mother because she is still young and angry at my mistakes....she is a mother.....she will make her own mistakes....I think that even in the bad circumstance I was raised, I have come to a place of forgiveness and compassion and know that my parents with all their flaws did the best they could, just as I did, and just as my daughter is doing....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My parents were far from perfect. They did the best for there 5 kids that they could. For that I have to give them a 10.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Hmmm, I'd give my dad a 9, and my mom a 7. I'm a total daddy's girl, and I think he's the greatest person in the world, the only reason I deducted a point is because I think he and my mom should have divorced YEARS before they actually did... My mom, she did her best, but she really wanted a girly girl, and I wasn't. So she was forever pushing me to curl my hair, wear dresses, stop getting all grossed up with my horses... She even made me walk around with a book on my head to "improve my posture". She meant well, we're just VERY different people.

But both of them always instilled a sense of independence in me, they allowed me the freedom to make my own mistakes, they were ALWAYS completely open with me, they didn't force me into anything... So it's all good :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would give both my parents a 8.5 - 9 they did the best they could with what they had and knew. and as far as I can tell me and my 3 brothers all turned out to be upstanding citizens in society
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 5:11 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'll give my parents a 10. Not everyone is equipped to be a parent and parenting does not come with a handbook. Therefore, my parents did the best that they knew to do. Now that Im an adult, I look back on my childhood and I'm thankful for everything in my life. Now that I'm a mom, I just pray that I have made the right decisions for my children and been there for them in the way they expected me too...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:26 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• -10 (that's a negative)
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• my mom an 8 she was/is a great mom, a little negative and a definite right fighter, I wish she would have let me talk to her more when I was younger. But now I give her a 10.

My dad a -10, absentee parent to me, really only interested in raising his sons. I could go on.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I'd give my mom a 2 or 3,my dad a zero

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• My Mom was about a 4..she did the best she could with what she knew I guess. My sperm donor deserves a -100.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I give my dad a 10 and I give my mom a 5. She never had her soul into parenting and she let us know that. My parents divorced when I was very young and I was happy that my twin brother and me were able to stay with our dad. When they had join custody, my mom would take us on work trips and out of the country for over the time she was allowed to without letting dad know. So, he got full custody of us so that we could have a stable childhood. She cared about work and self discovery more than she ever cared about family. The only way we fit in her life was through a coworker/friend relationship. Don't get me wrong I love my mom she is a great strong woman. I think in another life where she wasn't my mother I would respect her a lot more just as a person in general.
    SkylaDarling

Answer by SkylaDarling at 5:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010