Does anyone have a child with type 1 diabetes?

What were the sympthoms? If I am reading the one website right there is a chance my child has type 1. It seems like they may need a certain level of sugar? I recently cut out all sugar like the doctor recommended and shortly after these new sympthoms developed. Now it seems to have helped that problem but causing many of the sympthoms listed in type 1.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• MY daughter is being monitored for the being stages of Juvenile Diabetes.
    Your doctor should run a Hga1c and a baseline fasting glucose. Also you should have them do a glucose tolerance test. Those are your best options to get answers up front.

The Hga1c will tell you what the blood sugar has been doing in your childs body for a period of time. cut off is 5.7% anything above is considered diabetic, my daughters was 5.1% at her first testing and then went to 5.4% even with modification of dieting, her fasting was 179.

Ask for a referral to a Pediatric Endocrinologist they are the best to deal with it. I personally do not deal with doctors who do not specialize. If I have a problem with my Ears I see a ENT, etc.. I think generalize medicine is a good start but they will only get you so far.

Good luck. Its a SLOW process and you have to be pro active. You can show signs for YEARS they told us with our DD before having it.
    PreemieMom.2009

Answer by PreemieMom.2009 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Beginning stages not being stages.... .. good lord...

She urinates every 10 minutes and I mean full bladder empty pees.

She refuses solids and NOT because she is full with fluids (which if you get a doctor that doesn't know you will be the first thing they say well they probably fill on fluids because of the next one).

She is constantly asking for drinks of water, and drinking like she is in the desert.

She has been more blah then her normal energetic self, when all this started.

We have been monitoring her blood sugar for awhile now and sometimes she will have good fasting and then bad fasting. She will have HORRIBLE after meal, and then good.
    How the endocrinologist explained to us, its a sign that its still working but just not as properly as it should be. Basically mis firing. So we do diet modification etc... South Beach Diet (obviously not stage 1) but using the cook book etc.

Good luck :)
    PreemieMom.2009

Answer by PreemieMom.2009 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 22, 2010