What do YOU think his biggest failure was?

Former President George W. Bush signaled on Thursday that he sees not reforming Social Security as his greatest failure from the eight years he served in the White House, the Chicago Tribune reports. In 2005, the president unsuccessfully tried to partially privatize Social Security.

"I would like to be remembered as a guy who had a set of priorities, and was willing to live by those priorities," explained Bush. "In terms of accomplishments, my biggest accomplishment is that I kept the country safe amidst a real danger."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:12 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My personal opinion.

The invasion and occupation of Iraq. It was carried out and based on intelligence information that was known to be faulty (or let's be honest..incorrect). It has cost us billions of dollars, far too many lives (ours and theirs), it has created issues that we as a nation had no need to create abroad & at home, even the original planning and execution of the invasion was handled badly (and admittedly so by some former adminstration officials these days). It was a FUBAR fiasco from day 1, that far too many suffered the consequences of.. Our service men & women, their families, the people of Iraq, and even our nation as a whole due to the financial cost/cost of lives lost/ and issues it has caused at home & abroad.

All the way around. My personal opinion is that Iraq was his greatest mistake and failure.Just like ANY President. He has his own share of successes and failures, ALL have made mistakes.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:19 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Then claiming he "kept us safe" .....We had the largest / worst terror attack on our soil with him as President, never got the "mastermind" and did we arrest the ANTHRAX killer?? Don't think we did...

I agree to a point... in some ways he thought he was 'keeping us safe"... Just not as effectively as MANY Americans truly felt. But I also think that Clinton should have done more after the first WTC bombing, then after the Cole Clinton said~If, as it now appears, this was an act of terrorism, it was a despicable and cowardly act. We will find out who was responsible and hold them accountable"... then 9-11...  The writing was on the wall and very little was done by EITHER administration. Then add to it the transition from one admin to another and lack of continuity and communication.  Many failures.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I must add that even with his mistakes, we were never in the peril that our country is now, on every level, jmo~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• No Child Left Behind?
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 7:59 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Going to Iraq was the biggest. I can't name them all my baby is going to be up from her nap soon, and I would need all night to list more.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• After 2008, I bet a lot of people are glad they did not put the SS into private accounts. That's definitely not his biggest failure.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Having Dick Cheney as VP
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Izsarejam brings up a good/valid point.

Imagine the social reprecussions, the fall out, that would be happening over the next 20-30 years.. IF social security privatization had become a reality. People like me (late 40's) who would have been forced to invest in private accounts would have suffered losses. Some losses that they would not have time to recover from before they reached retirement age. Those people would be in a position where they would need some form of public assistance/government help to get by. Since there would be no retirement fund people were working & paying into, these people would need to be receive some form of government dole to survive. That would be a big mess, a new program would most likely need to be created to fill in that gap.

My husband & I both have private retirement accounts. We have taken losses. However, others' have taken greater losses. And have no time to recover due to age..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:38 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• The two I think were his worst mistakes were:
    Sending troops to Iraq ,while pretending there were WMD's.
    Having Dick Cheney as VP and allowing him to screw America.

I am SO glad he didn't try to PRIVATIZE Social Security, considering what has been going on ..
    Investments.. who hasn't lost money?.YEah,if that is what he thinks was his biggest mistake,then he is dumber than I thought he was.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• making deals with Big Pharma…

I think you will find that this link about Rumsfeld, is also interesting, if you didn't know...

http://www.serendipity.li/bf/swine_flu.htm

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:32 PM on Oct. 22, 2010