Would you stand up for kids even if you know they are wrong?

That was the great thing about my mother. I was not wrong in what I said, I was wrong in the way I handled the situation. (the teacher was teaching things during black history month that I knew were inacurate, I could have been calmer about it and not called him out and been disrespectful) She backed me 100% in front of the teacher and the principal, now when we were alone, she told me I was wrong and punished me. But in front of others, as long as it was not law breaking, she stood up for me.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• It depends 100% on the situation.

.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:22 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• That's very interesting. Your mom did the right thing by teaching you your mistake but it's interesting that she stood up to the teacher and principle b/c it's almost like she was disrespecting them too, but then punished you for it. Confusing. I wouldn't do that.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If my child was wrong, no, I wouldn't back him up. And I would actually make him apologize in public for his behavior, too. You were disrespectful to your teacher, and you SHOULD have been made to apologize for that. Whether or not you were correcting his mistakes. There's a way to do so without being disrespectful...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:21 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I think there is a difference between support and defense. I know people who will defend their kids no matter what they did or how wrong it was or even if someone else was hurt. I think it's fine to be there to support your child, even as an adult, but another entirely to defend them if they do something wrong.
    Anonymous

• ok? like my own? Cause if they are going to stand up like you did, and you were wrong, then hell no, they better get there facts straight before they go shooting off their mouths..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 5:18 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• If someone is wrong they are wrong. I will show my child I love her even if she is wrong but I am not going to stand up for her like she is right when she is wrong. I think too many parents stand up for their kids when they are wrong and that is why some kids think they can just do anything.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 5:34 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• It depends on the situation.

For instance, my dh is a teacher and he caught a student with his own eyes cheating on a test. He called the student up, gave them a 0 on the test.

Parent came back up and refused to believe my dh and said their 15 year old kid would "NEVER do such a thing"

UMMMMM ok.....now that kid thinks they can get away with whatever they want too.

But in some situations its appropriate to defend your child.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Teachers stand up for other teachers, this is how it is, and nothing can be done about it. It sounds like some teachers need to go back to school in order to teach our children. Of course then again, It's partly our job to help our kids learn. We should learn to work together.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:34 AM on Oct. 23, 2010

• My facts were not wrong, my behavior in the situation was wrong. I didn't find it confusing, that is one of the best stories I have about my mother. I knew exactly what I was talking about, but at 15 was very rude and disrespectful about getting my point across. She stood up for me because I had my facts straight and she was respectful in that. But told me that I have to be more respectful in my dealings w/others or no one would listen to my point.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 6:56 AM on Oct. 23, 2010