Hubby just deployed and....

I want to send him some things I know he wouldn't think to pack (we live in seperate states so I didn't see what he packed but knowing dh....)
I want to send him:
sunblock
lip balm
nasal spray
paper & pens
juice boxes
I need some other useful ideas. And also, what do I put the stuff in? Just a box or should I get some type of bin or basket to put it in? Any of you ladies done this before? What did you do?

dmdblleb

Asked by dmdblleb at 5:16 PM on Oct. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Send him sexy pictures of you- what could be better. It's the one thing you can give him that nobody else can and he will miss you more than he will miss anything. :) God bless.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Get a food saver and vacuum seal all those things in bags. It shrinks a lot of things down so when you pack the box, you can stack them and put more in there. I bought one when my husband was deployed and it was invaluable. A few other things you can get him would be drink packets like crystal light or kool aid, oatmeal packets, ramen, slim jims, beef jerky, hard candies, etc.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:35 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I would put each item in it's own zip lock baggie. That way if one were to explode they all dont get ruined.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• You can send baked goods. Wrap them in wax paper first. Then foil, then ziplock bags. It takes about a week for the boxes to get there. I sent baked goods, and all the guys LOVED it. Under bake the stuff just a bit, too. But, don't do it the first box, wait to see just how long it takes. If I sent the box on a Monday, he'd get it the next Monday. Use the boxes that cost one price no matter how heavy, unless the stuff is light. I suggest take the stuff to the post office, and see what box it fits in. Then you can judge after that. But, take your own tape, it's expensive there. Magazines, they get bored. Candy. My hubby said that all his white socks turned a funny color, so I bought him lots of white socks, and washed them so they smelled like home. He got sick of the socks! I thought it was funny.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• I agree about the baggies, I went through a lot of those lol! Oh and I always just put everything in a box, since their personal storage spaces are extremely limited.

My husband always liked me to send him the drink powders to pour into bottled water. He liked the gatorade and koolaid ones. He also loved jerky and other snacks. I sent him cash so he could buy phone cards. Sports and xbox magazines. I tried to send him stuff that would make him smile since he could always buy the non-fun things there as needed. The themed care packages are always nice too, and with the holidays coming up, you can do those! ;)

Thanks to your husband, you and your family for all of your sacrifices. May the time go fast, and he be home safe before you know it. Take care. :)
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Flat rate boxes will save you a lot of money. Also be careful of sending liquid items ( juice boxes) because those packages get tossed around like they are nothing.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Put it all in the flat rate boxes. They took about a week to get to my DH when he was in Afghanistan. See what all he has access to over there though, because my DH was at a base that had an exchange of sorts, so he could get almost all his toiletries over there, and snack items too which let me send him more personal items and more "wants" instead of trying to send little stuff he didnt need me to send. I sent him a lot of books since he likes to read, and I sent him some pants he had asked for, the 5.11 tactical pants. I guess a lot of the guys over there requested them.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:00 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Ohhh good idea!
    dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 5:20 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• kksmomma, you literally brought me to tears. Thank you so much.

and ladies, thanks for the great ideas. I'm putting a list together and when he gets to call I'll ask if he has any requests.

Jackie, one of his sargents told me I couldn't send him porn. lol. I don't know what kind of reputation we have but she said it to him and me. I wanted to ask her how much nudity she considered porn but I didn't want to embarrass him. lol But yeah, some pics are a given. ;)

dmdblleb

Comment by dmdblleb (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Oct. 22, 2010

• LOL
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 1:19 AM on Oct. 23, 2010