1st birthday cake ideas?

I love baking and I would love to be able to bake and decorate my son's 1st birthday cake. Can I get some pointers or tips? And possibly some directions on how to make an adorable cake? Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:41 PM on Oct. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• If he likes to bang on things, make it a drum....just do a couple of round cakes, frost it w/ white...add some solid color bands around the sides, with an x pattern in between, give him a small drum stick, and let him beat the heck out of it.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• What's his favorite toy or favorite character? Then you could buy the icing in the color of the environment you want it to be whether it be outside or whatever then you could put a little figurine on top..
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 1:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• He doesn't really have a favorite character yet. He likes any kind of cartoons! lol. His favorite toys are anything he can bang on...I don't guess that helps any! lol!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 1:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• For my boys I made their favorite toy out of a cake, .e., Barney, Curious George, Thomas...I found the cake pans at places like Michael's, Joann's or any other party stores. They also have great recipes online, just google. I made one every year like that for the first 10 years, after that they thought it was not cool. But I still make their cakes every year and they are 14 & 16.

Cindrella72

Answer by Cindrella72 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• For my son's first birthday we did a Clifford theme and the cake was shaped like a dog bowl. I did a simple two layer cake out of the round pans, used food coloring to dye the white frosting red, scooped a little out of the top of the cake and filled it with Coco Puffs cereal to look like dog food was in the bowl. Turned out really cute! My son liked picking the cereal out of the cake too!
    icook

Answer by icook at 2:44 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I love the clifford bowl idea and the drum idea! =) I have to get some cake mix this weekend and practice!! Thanks!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 3:12 PM on Oct. 29, 2008